Originally Posted by model70man
I would clean the metal with Flitz and use it as is.

That or something like No. 7 Rubbing Compound for automobiles. And watch it how it is done.

I tried steel wool on an old Browning .22 T-Bolt with heavy rust and it destroyed the action's outer finish. Maybe that action is too soft steel since it is a .22, but why take a chance.

I tried it because that gun was from the era of salt-wood cured stocks when Browning foolishly destroyed so many guns by itself. I can still use it because the bore and innards are clean, but the fancy appearance was already gone after 20 years of being left in the safe without treatment of some kind.

There was a gentleman in the Classifieds from Florence, SC selling various kinds of cold blue around July-August 2016. I bought some and plan to try them out once I get around to cleaning up a couple of rifles, because it sounds awfully good.

Last edited by Anjin; 12/31/16.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).