Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Is the problem with the stock safety that when the safety is off (in the fire position) the front tang on the safety lever protrudes up into the shell groove preventing the shooter from extracting the casing or inserting a live round into the chamber?
Does the shooter have to manually engage the safety before opening the breach to extract a case?

Your mostly there.

It does protrude into the loading trough but not enough to inhibit the shooter from removing cases or loading live rounds. The safety only extends up about 1/16" or maybe a RCH more above the lip of the loading trough. You do not have to engage the safety to operate the breach lever, in fact, you have to open the breach (cocking the spring) before you can re-engage the safety anyway.

The problem is that when the safety is in the "Fire" position and you open the breach to eject / extract the spent case, the case will just catch the safety edge and lay in the loading trough, or if the ejector spring tension is high enough, the case may even bounce back into the chamber.

Either of these scenarios reduce the speed of a reload since you have to clear the empty case. Some people don't mind stating that by laying in the trough it allows them to keep up with their brass. For my 1V Swift and other similar varmint or paper punchers I agree with this philosophy.

Others say you just need to practice more and learn to cant the rifle as you eject the case so it bounces to the right and clears the action. Not the most natural thing to learn to do...especially for a lefty. And for my big game rifles I would rather the empty fly clear allowing me to only focus on the reload.

And several others say its no problem at all and you just need to learn to adjust your ejector tension since THEIR rifle's safety never catches a fired case and they never have to clear empties before reloading.

Just depends on what you want to do with your rifle I suppose.