Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
That is Sam Fejes' area, no?

It might be. There was another guy guiding hunters in that area about 10-15 years ago. He guided off of his sailboat. He was supposed to guide Bill Bahleda and I for Brown Bear with .454's and he was going to have it filmed. His sailboat got caught in a nasty squall as he rounded Cape Hinchinbrook and was driven up onto the rocks. Our trip was over before it started.

Take a look at Controller Bay, particularly that area on the mainland due North of Kanak Island and up the Bering River. There are some big bears there, but you have to work for them.

There used to be a ton of Black Bears around Martin Lake until a certain flying service out of Anchorage started dumping non-res hunters around the lake and any other place they could put a float plane down on . I remember when they offered $300.00 drop-off hunts, flying out of Eyak Lake in Cordova. That was $300.00 for residents, $1,000.00 for non-residents and they stayed booked.

Ed

Yes, I believe that is still Sam's area. I worked for Sam for one season out of the Tsiu River Lodge in the mid 90's. Awesome country, friggin huge bear and dam shcitty moose packing country.

Eat moose, burn spruce