I've been using a Garmin etrex Summit since 2004. It's simple and reliable.

I bought a Garmin 64ST because I wanted the digital maps. It connects faster than my old GPS unit but that's about the only thing that's better. I was initially disappointed with the maps that come with the standard 64ST package, so I paid for the high definition maps for western states and another set for Alaska. I'm even more disappointed in those. The screen is too small. There is not enough information on the maps. The unit operates too slowly. When you set it to find a way point it operates so slowly that it's just about useless. In fact worse than useless because it could send you off in the wrong direction. I've gone back to my old unit and I think the new 64ST will just gather dust in the drawer.

Those are the only two units that I'm familiar with. Don't know anything about the 680. I would not buy the Garmin 64ST. There must be better units than that. I hope you find a good one. Let us know if you do.

My buddy uses an app on his smart-phone and it's a lot better. Can't remember any info on that app. But it doesn't matter because the company has terminated offering the app for sale and no longer services it.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.