A lot of us here have used the Garmin 64 for some pretty remote hunts. It works fine, and one of the big advantages of it over an older etrex is that in thick old growth canopy it maintains a signal. That is the reason most of us went to it in the first place. The unit obviously does not take the place of some laminated paper charts, but it is excellent for quick references like knowing where steep creeks are and where finger ridges are. It easily is and has been the best in class for backcountry navigating.

Phones still have a little ways to go before I'll ditch my Garmin. I do pack a phone instead of a camera, to bluetooth to my delorme, and for a second opinion. But when I have weight on my back and am heading downhill the Garmin is in my hand.

One thing to think about is that Garmin has acquired delorme. They might soon be integrating things like satellite texting and weather into one unit. I myself love my delorme for texting and weather updates when remote for extended periods of time.