Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Glad they dont make many of those stocks anymore.

That stock was designed as an offhand stock for Metallic Silhouette shooting. It is a very comfortable and stable stock for offhand. At the time it was one of the few aftermarket stocks available for Silhouette, at most matches about half of the competitors would be using them. They were made for most rimfire and centerfire actions and came 90% finished so they could be finished to fit your holding style. I saw very few laminates though since they were heavy, most folks used silver maple or walnut so they could get more weight in the barrel.

I was at a rimfire match a couple of years ago and there were a couple on the line, I took a few shots with a fellow competitors and was pleasantly reminded why they were so popular.

I see you are from Blaine county, I'll bet that there are still a few of those stocks in closets around the county. Lewistown held the State Smallbore Rimfire silhouette matches for many years and in the 80's it was the hot-bed of rimfire silhouette, folks traveled from Wy, ID, ND, and Canada just for their monthly matches, for the state championships they came from most of the central and pacific NW.

drover

Blaine County Montana, not Idaho.

Thanks anyway for the information, I thought that stock might have just been the "style" back then.

Now I know what it was designed for! I appreciate it!

No, I was speaking of Montana, I just had my counties mixed up, Lewistown, MT is in Fergus county not Blaine.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.