Hi Doc,

Both Husqvarna and Gransfors Bruk axes & hatchets are common here in Sweden, so I have been able to compare them side by side on several occasions.

I can't see any notable differences between the profile of the heads.

I have no way to compare the metallurgy or hardness but I do know the Gransfors Bruks heads have hard cutting edges, with softer eyes & polls so they don't crack or splinter. I do not know if the Husqvarna have differentially-hardened heads.

However, I have seen a number of Husquvarna axes or hatches with bad grain layout -- bad enough that I think they would not take long to break.

I have not seen a Gransfors Bruk hatchet or axe with bad grain orientation so far, so if you are going to order through the Internet, a Gransfors Bruk seems a safer bet.

If you can examine the handle and get one with the annular growth rings running more or less parallel to the long axis of the head, then I would not worry about buying either. If you are mail ordering, I would stick with Gransfors Bruk.

Gransfors Bruk has a nice WEBSITE too. They take pride in what they do, and they also have an interesting tour of the factory and classes in log building, but I can imagine that this is less likely to interest you... wink

John