Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The reason I asked Jeremybj exactly which Berger VLD he used was because I've run into quite a few hunters who for some reason didn't use the Hunting VLD's--the model that kills so quickly. Instead they used the Target VLD's, which have a thicker jacket, so don't do nearly as much internal damage.

Some hunters deliberately use the Target VLD's, which also work but don't provide the quicker kills of the Hunting VLD's. They prefer (or believe they should prefer) the "tougher" version.

But some simply don't know there's a difference. They've heard about Berger VLD's on game, so buy a box--which may be the Target bullets, which come in yellow boxes. The Hunting version comes in orange boxes.

I"ll toss a bit of input in. I ran the yellow box, assumign I was running target, but then JB explained all that to me.

I tried a new box of "target" ones a few years ago as I was happy with what yellow box 185s did out of my 26 inch 308. Pencil in, nickel or so out, destruction inside, dead. Actually dang near exactly what TTSX have been doing perfectly for years now. But a better BC for my longer shots... I use the 308 way on out there on deer if I have the need to.( and why I have a 257 wtby is beyond me... lol)

So move forward to the new target box... I did NOT want more destruction that I thought I'd get from the hunting version...

Shot 2 spikes, around 350 yards... could not find either. Was not happy. Chip shots that were on the money when the shots broke.(prior to owning a dog...)

Anyway was shooting up what was left of the old yellow box at that point. And ordered an orange box.

I have not shot the orange box on but a couple of deer, and all has been well.

This past season, shot the old yellow box and had 2 shots, that were ribs only, that left horrible exit holes... I have NO clue why after probably over 100 animals, all of a sudden 2 did this, in a row... It is what it is. The orange box amazed me, they have more or less mirrored what the yellow ones have been doing.

This fall I had all these target ones loaded, so I shot 2 more deer with them. Pencil in, maybe dime/nickel max out. Deer ran about twice as far as with the hunting versions, but none hit more than 80 yards or so and I've had the hunting ones run that far at times...

Target ones internal damage was less, more like damage of nickel size through the lungs and then smaller frags through the lobes...

I'd not hesitate to use targets again, I like less damage by far. And thats my choice and since they all die it doesn't matter.

But lets get back to the first use of the target.... the 2 spikes not found.... I was about to shoot at a decent 10 2 years ago. Had him bedded at just under 600.... And for some reason I just decided to go home and shoot the gun... found out elevation had quit working. Which explained the spikes, Id' shot under them easily with a 100 yard zero on the gun....

My next goal is try the hunting 215s in the 308 and see if I can end up between the target and hunting versions of 185s damage wise.

I've yet to see any failures on the bergers.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....