Not an expert by any means, but some general things I have found on various hog hunts.

I was always told the sows taste better than boars and a younger hog (50 pounder) is going to be better tasting than an old and heavy hog. What I have found is that a 200 pound boar can taste just as good as a 50 pound sow as long as you clean it properly (pretty much true of any game meat).

Three biggest things I believe contribute to good tasting meat are:

1. Get the meat off the carcass as fast as possible.

2. Let the blood leach out of the meat. To do this, just throw them in a cooler of ice water for a few hours/overnight.

3. Trim off any brown spots from the meat as well as any silver/sinew before freezing. Vacuum sealing before freezing is even better if you are able.

4. Don't overcook the meat! I will either use a slow cooker for something like lechon asado or pulled pork, or, if I am grilling it, I will only cook it to about medium.

Wild hog meat is great, one of my favorites, and I prefer it over pork from the grocery store. Using the above mentioned tips I have always enjoyed any size hog I have shot as have friends who would have normally left the hog I'm serving them for the crows.

For kicks, this is lechon asado (Cuban Roast Pork) made using a 200 pound boar. Tasted awesome, paired with garlic bread, black beans and quinoa (wife's idea, traditionally it's rice).
[Linked Image]

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...