I've taken 8-9 Elk with a ML.

Two or three were with .54 cal and a 600 grain Maxi-ball using 120 grains of Triple 7 when it was the newest choice of power on the market.. The rest were with a 50 cal. using a sabot with a Hornady 250 grain 45 cal XTP hollow point and 150 grains of Triple 7.

Almost every single one of them dropped in their tracks. Never had one go more than 30 yards.

Shot placement is key. Longest shot was 137 yards. Most of them were taken at less than 50 yards. The only complete pass through's were with the 54 cal and Maxi-balls. The XTP would expand to approximately .75". All but one were taken with inline rifles. One was with a Hawken.

I did try round balls, never did harvest an Elk with them. Not because they wouldn't do the job, I just did not see any Elk to shoot at. I'm sure that if you have the right opportunity, a .50 cal round ball would work.

Good luck with your choices.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.