Originally Posted by Fireball2
didn't marlin also experiment with a spiral tube 250-3000 model something something lever gun? Spiral tube to keep the bullet tips from one lining up with the primer from the one in front of it???
I don't know what the complete story is on those or why more makers didn't use spiral magazines, but I have some information.

Most of the Steven's 425's had "SOFT POINT" stamped on the barrel under the caliber marking. I read a report about early tube fed guns in 45-70 having cartridges touched off in the magazine because of sensitive primers but I don't know if this ever was a very common occurrence with any type ammunition. This supposedly happened during a military test of repeating rifles, I believe one mentioned was the 1881 Marlin.

Remington had a patent on the spiral magazine but I don't think it would have held up if someone challenged it, but it might just not have been worth the cost. Here is a link to the Remington patent - .uspto.gov/01043354

Another earlier patent that is almost identical is the reason I don't think it would have held up in court, but of course someone would have to know this patent existed. It was owned by Winchester which shows they had looked at the idea and the patent covered two other methods of skewing the cartridge as well as the spiral grooves. It looks like rimmed 45-70 rounds in the drawing so maybe the story of 45-70's was true and was a reason for looking at this, the patent states that it is to keep cartridges from exploding in the magazine - uspto.gov/00285284

Last edited by GeneB; 01/24/17. Reason: changed some wording

Gene