Originally Posted by persiandog
Montana 308 for about $1100.

P.

the 7mm-08 is a great deal, but if you are looking for that light weight you can get there with a montana pretty easily and have a greater choice in calibers---

For reference:

my Adirondack in 308 with a muzzle break (came with it when I bought it used) and 13 oz. scope in talleys weighs 6# even.

my Montana in .338 federal cut down to 17" with a 16 oz. scope in talleys is 6# 6oz.

I've got them the way I want them but if you swapped their scopes and they would be the virtually the same...

If I were going to build my own feather weight in any random caliber I would do the following:

chris84 is selling titanium bolt knobs for the 84M, that will save you 2-ish ounces.

You can calculate the weight of your barrel/ how much you can lose by cutting it here: http://pac-nor.com/cgi-bin/bweight.cgi my .338 barrel was closest in profile to a #1

if you go with a fixed 6x36 or a lightweight 2-7 Leupold you can get a sub 10 ounce scope and probably get a 84M montana under 6lbs scoped without much fuss for about 1200 before optics.

lets start with a .257 Roberts Montana for $1100 and look at it by the numbers:

starting 5 lbs, 2 oz.

------cut to 18" takes off .3lbs= 4.8 oz lets round up to 5 when you take into account the recessed target crown metal removal. should cost $125 tops, if you cant find someone to do it, buy a T-handle facing kit from brownells and use a hacksaw and do it yourself for $100

4 lbs. 14 oz.

------swap for titanium bolt handle -2 oz $55

4 lbs. 12 oz.