One thing to remember is that he had no refrigeration of any kind except for the small little hole in the permafrost he used in the summer. A entire animal was just too much meat for him to keep. Unless you know it's going to stay cold enough, everything needs to get canned which is a colossal pain in the ass. He was able to scavenge enough from what was left behind to supplement himself that he didn't do much hunting.

Rost, to be fair, there's still plenty of wanton waste that goes on here. That big set of horns is awfully sudductive to many. I've smelled plenty of boats loaded with spoiled meat that are proudly displaying their trophies. You know that meat isn't going to make it back to their house. I sure wouldn't eat it. Another common occurrence, is the individual that harvests a smaller animal, then two days later, decides to take that bigger one that just stepped out. Since he's already got the meat from the first, he chucks the smaller rack in the brush and takes the bigger set leaving the meat behind. I assume they are betting F&G isn't going to compare the size of the quarters with the size of the antlers. When you live "out" the entire area is sort of like you're house. You only really share it about one month a year. Because of this, you do get a little possessive of it, and when you see it disrespected it ticks you off a little. I'd imagine that's why he's a bit critical of the hunters that come through.

Others may disagree, but I see it as our responsibility as hunters to call others out when they are doing things they shouldn't. In the long run its only going to hurt us if government and public (read liberal) pressure forces further restrictions.

The book of journal entries is an interesting read. I've been through it several times. Their were many assumptions made by Sam Kieth that Dick wasn't happy with. It made for a better story (to some) but it wasn't accurate. We have a family friend that knew Dick quite well and said he was a bit miffed about some of the things Sam wrote. Especially assumptions as to what his thoughts were. That's one reason Mr. Keith only did the one book. Dick wouldnt let him put words in his mouth again.

Just some food for thought. I apologize for being long winded.

Last edited by ykrvak; 01/27/17.

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley