Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Originally Posted by rost495

...I have not seen wanton waste very often, actually possibly never....

Happens all of the time here in Texas with feral pigs. The only consolation is that other animals make quick work of any carcass left behind, and they actually need the meal more than the people pulling the trigger and leaving the meat behind. The worst is hearing "hunters" talk about intentionally gut shooting pigs. That type of thinking is for sociopaths, not hunters. They make me sick.

Also, lots of "hunters" bring home deer meat and never eat it. They end up feeding the freezer burned meat to dogs or just pitching it.

Deer meat is by far my favorite. A good tenderized venison cutlet is far preferable to a beef steak.

Thanks to the OP for posting this topic. I was not familiar with the works, but just ordered a couple. Looking forward to reading them.

Luckily the folks we choose to hang with are not like that. Unless the pig is absolutely not edible. You don't know that until you shoot it, and we have been able to learn to gauge by smell... We have done our very best to make the stinky ones edible. Have had no luck.

Of course what do you do with varmints? Coons I"ve eaten, not bad at all. Have not had much else, but shoot wolves and waste? Shoot coyotes and waste?

In there somewhere, is a fuzzy line thats hard to see at times.

Heck I wouldn't eat a deer that was unfit either....

Flat out, cougar and lynx are two of the best meats out there. I have only shot two cougars and a fair number more lynx, but they will always be eaten. Beaver and muskrat are both very good in meaty stews.

Coons do not work nearly as well for me, but I have eaten it many times. Brown bears will not be tried again by me, but I love black bears.

But the point you have to stop even considering rationalization about eating critters you kill is when you get to stuff like sea otter... worst thing I have ever tried to eat!!! I would sooner eat raw possum guts!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.