My truck (1971 F150) guns growing up were always an older beater of some sort. They were mostly used for running trap lines in South East Wyoming, and Northern UT.

A buffalo scout .22 revolver and some old beat up rifle. Once it was a borrowed Winchester 1892 in 25-20. Sure wish I had that thing today.

You're now posing a question for something new. But do not state if you want high end quality, or entry level shooter.

For me, something south of $500.00. Ruger American, Savage Axis, Marlin X7 would be a truck gun. I'd probably scour the BackPage ads for something used.

Caliber ? What are you going to use it for ? Rodents, varmints? predation on live stock ?Jack Rabbits? Coyote? Bear?

For me, I'm using a Ruger American .223 compact with a vortex 4-16x50. As the previous poster said, a self loader might be nice too.

Have fun in you're quest for a new right seat companion.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.