Another thought: Often the hunters who can afford big doubles and use them in Africa are also avid shotgunners who prefer double-barreled scatterguns. Or at least I know this is true of several of my acquaintance.

The guy I'm most familiar with, a good friend who lives about an hour away, has several professional-level clay-target throwers on his country place. During the nicer 2/3 of the Montana year, he regularly holds weekend shoots for anybody interested, and he alone probably puts 10,000 rounds through his side-by-side shotguns each year.

One of the advantages of double rifles is aside from the weight, they handle very much like double shotguns--and many 10-gauges resemble heavy double rifles in both weight and balance. If you're a shotgunner who often shoots doubles, it's easy to transfer the same skills to a double rifle, especially one that fits you, as they should. Often a practiced shotgunner can hit closer targets with a double rifle only using the front sight.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck