Originally Posted by Mjduct
They are all but giving away the Kimber adirondacks in 7mm-08 for $1199 I've seen a few Kimber Montana's on GunBroker sell for ~$750

It just seems the caliber does alot of really good things, fills a great role, but nobody wants one? Too many of them out there? 6.5 Creedmoor the flavor of the week?

No makey no sense to me, can someone help out?

The 7mm-08 is a great cartridge but I've never been able to justify one for myself as the opportunity cost was always too great. Have had my 7mm RM since 1982 and when I had the money for another rifle it always went for something else. When I sold my Ruger #1 in .280 Rem the 7mm-08 was on the list of possible replacements. Got a bolt in .280 Rem instead. Same thing when I bought my .308, the .308 won in large part because it was a Ruger Scout. Last year I had an opportunity to buy a Savage FXP3 in 7mm-08 for $295. Right beside it was a FXP3 in .243 for the same price and the .243 won out.

As my collection grew to include a .257 Roberts, 6.5-06AI, .280 Rem, 7mm RM and .308 (among others), justifying a 7mm-08 got harder and harder. As have additional rifles in any size or configuration. These days I'm building an AR in .308 and thinking the next big expenditure will be for a suppressor. Or a Ruger #1 in .45-70 if I can find one at an irresistible price.)

Through the years I've thought a 7mm-08 would be great for the girls, but even that 'need' has diminished. One has her own rifle now (I recommended a .308 instead of a 7mm-08 and she agreed), one shoots but doesn't hunt and the other will likely never hunt anything but antelope with me and for that I have to fight her for my .257 Roberts.

And these days I'd probably buy a .260 or Creedmoor instead anyway, other factors being equal.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.