Originally Posted by winchester70
Plus, for the non-handloaders (most people), 7/08 factory ammo is a ripoff. When/if you can find it. Seems that might be a HUGE factor for "no love", among the masses.

I agree with all that, except the "ripoff" part. It's priced higher because there's less demand than 243, 270, 308, 30-06. Those four and the 30-30 are the stalwarts of American Hunting.

Here in Montana, for every box of 7mm-08 on the shelves, there's five in 308. Still, the 7mm-08 is VERY popular here. It's typically considered a kids and ladies round for all the state's hunting up through elk, though I've always wondered why it's ok for ladies and kids but not grown men?

Regardless, I have three 308's, but I do have a 7-08 too.

As the late Finn Aagaard said;

"The 7mm-08 is also a fine cartridge that possibly makes the optimum use of the .308 case... The more I use the 7mm-08, the better I like it. It is an altogether superb little cartridge, a modern version of the 7x57mm that will do everything the renowned old Mauser ever did - which makes it an ideal choice for a good 90% of all big game hunting."

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery