I have several S&W revolvers, but the ones I'm using to learn DA shooting are a 4" square butt M19 and a 4" round butt M620, which is a half lug 686+. I also have a couple of GP100s, both 4".

I have Hogue finger groove grips for the 620 that work ok for traction but are ugly and extend too far below the bottom of the frame. I love revolvers with wood grips so I've tried grips from Altamont and something similar to Jordan Troopers. I have an old set of S&W grips for the 19 that seem like a good fit for my hand, look something like Ropers. They are smaller than the huge target grips from the 80s. The GPs have the old compact Letts grips. These fit my hand wonderfully and don't squirm at all. The problem is, the Rugers ar okay but I love my Smiths and want to be able to shoot them well.

I appreciate all the good ideas about improving my trigger control and I intend to put them to use. But I believe that this squirming problem is limiting my progress since it causes the gun to shift in my hand just a bit at each recoil.

A man's capacity is usually relative to his goals.
-Karl Erlich, The Sea Chase