Home
Double action revolvers are my favorite handguns, but I've never really focused hard on shooting them double action until a couple of years ago. My trigger control has improved but controlling the revolver is more difficult. Unless the grip is made of soft rubber like a Hogue monogrip or the old Lett grips that Ruger used to put on their GP100, I can't seem to control the squirm. With any wooden grip (except the huge old S&W target grips) the gun rotates clockwise (looking down at it) and jumps up in my fist incrementally. This, of course, causes my second shot to strike a different POI. I've tried gripping harder with different fingers and I've tried several different grips to no avail. I've considered getting full checkered wood grips from Herretts, but that's quite an investment. I'd rather improve my technique.

I really want to be able to use wood grips on my favorite Smiths, can anyone help? Probably I should mention that I have relatively small hands, so I can't use grips that cover the backstrap.
It's an old book, but Fast And Fancy Revolver Shooting is actually an excellent training manual for becoming highly proficient in the practical use of double action revolvers. Ed McGivern didn't write the title. The publishers did, thinking it would sell books. Misleading.

It was through the study of this book, and applying it's methods, that I became very good with double action revolvers in not very much time at all. Should work for you too.

Be prepared to develop a blister, then a callus, on your trigger finger if you actually follow his training instructions.

One thing he doesn't mention is snap caps. Use them. Saves wear on the firing pin and the pin hole.
Are you staging the trigger?
Sounds like you have solved your problem with the hogue grips already.
Originally Posted by jac3k
That could be the problem. Hacks have taught people to stage double action triggers from days of old. It's wrongheaded. The double action pull needs to sweep all the way through, from start to finish, without delay or change in pace, all the while keeping the sights aligned on the target.
No, I'm not staging the trigger. I pull straight through. It's the recoil that makes the gun squirm.

The Hogue grips do solve the problem, but they're a crutch. I'd like to solve this problem by improving ME, not the gun.
Originally Posted by WildernessWanderer
No, I'm not staging the trigger. I pull straight through. It's the recoil that makes the gun squirm.

The Hogue grips do solve the problem, but they're a crutch. I'd like to solve this problem by improving ME, not the gun.
The grips solve your problem, so good enough. Not a crutch. The human hand has its limits in anchoring down tiny, poorly fitting, grips under recoil. That's the good thing about revolvers. You can get grips that fit you.
Just wondering, how are you gripping the gun....Bob
Have you tried adjusting the position of your trigger finger?
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

The grips solve your problem, so good enough. Not a crutch. The human hand has its limits in anchoring down tiny, poorly fitting, grips under recoil. That's the good thing about revolvers. You can get grips that fit you.

i recently bought a small hand cannon. a ruger 2.75 incher in 41magnum, came with those smooth ruger grips. I understand that they were made that way to have the revolver roll in your hand. I don't want to have the revolver roll in my hand. So they were replaced with sticky rubber grips. I am also one of those wierdo's that likes the smith target style grips. Each to there own, but for sure it's not the same for everybody.
When you grip the gun make sure the backstrap is right on the heel of you hand, you should not be able to see it.
Looked at from above the barrel should be lined up with your arm bone.
Good suggestion about McGivern's book, I have it and have enjoyed studying it. As far as how hard I grip, I've tried I've tried gripping as hard as I can but that makes trigger control much harder. McGivern suggests a moderate grip pressure. I do hold the revolver so that it is in line with my forearm and with the top of the backstrap even with the web of my hand, so that my grip is as high as possible. Normally I use even pressure among all four fingers, but I've tried pressing extra hard with my pinky or with my middle finger. I can't vary the placement of my trigger finger much. If I have the gun lined up with my arm, I can only engage the trigger with the last pad of my finger. On a GP, it hits at the first joint.
That could be the problem. Hacks have taught people to stage double action triggers from days of old. It's wrongheaded. The double action pull needs to sweep all the way through, from start to finish, without delay or change in pace, all the while keeping the sights aligned on the target.

I never knew I was a hack, thanks for the info.

In my day we used DA revolvers on embassy duty. I ended up instructing at Quantico after my tours overseas.

Thumbing the hammer was NEVER done, strictly verboten. We were taught, and taught our students, to master two different trigger pulls with the DA revolver.

Un-interrupted trigger pull - a smooth straight-through pull, used for close range, typically inside 15 yards.

Interrupted trigger pull - a quick stage that snaps the cylinder into it's next index, and followed by a squeeze to fire. Typically for 15+ yards.

The two both work and have their application.

The caveat is that we spent hours/days/weeks dry firing and building muscle memory. I mean to the point of blistered and bleeding trigger fingers. (I had a real admiration of Marines on the live fire range with taped fingers, and blood dripping off the triggerguard of their S&W Model 19, and putting them in the black from 3 to 25 yards).

Most civvy's don't have the time or inclination to train to that level. I get that. And most civ shooting schools I've looked at online, are 1-2 days at best, with minimal dry-fire or live-fire.
I lay a quarter on the top strap and dry fire double action, making sure the quarter doesn't fall.
And the 'staging the trigger' is taught by hacks is a bunch of BS too, as Shane already explained.
I was actually suggesting that he try it.
I shoot DA's more accurately with a staged trigger than shooting the same gun SA whether offhand or from a rest. My best groups from a rest are 1" at 50 yds, no bs.

It makes sense as with a staged trigger your hand is in tension and you can hold the gun more solidly.

The value of frequent quality dry firing can't be underscored to develop proficiency with handguns.
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

They put the single action there as an option for a reason. No need for developing a staging technique for distance shooting. For the vast majority of self-defense utilization of a double action revolver, a straight through double action pull is the only appropriate method. YMMV.

They put the single action there as an option for a reason. No need for developing a staging technique for distance shooting. For the vast majority of self-defense utilization of a double action revolver, a straight through double action pull is the only appropriate method. YMMV.

God damn, you're a frigging tool. From being an expert on goat and elk hunting, Dakota rifles etc in the early days to this crap.

Amazing what you've done in your parent's basement.
With mastery of an interrupted trigger pull, there is no need to break your shooting grip (to thumb the hammer). It's very fast, but still very deliberate.

It does require a serious commitment to training.
Does anyone know what was the standard method of training for law enforcement in the big departments was before the switch to semiautos?

Was it only an uninterrupted trigger pull? Was the interrupted trigger pull (staging) also taught? Was thumbing the hammer taught?

Serious questions.
Does anyone know what was the standard method of training for law enforcement in the big departments was before the switch to semiautos?

Was it only an uninterrupted trigger pull? Was the interrupted trigger pull (staging) also taught? Was thumbing the hammer taught?

Serious questions.

Both.

I think a lot of departments allowed single action at the 50 but it was frowned upon. By heterosexuals.

Dave
They put hammers on DA revolvers for a reason, all right; to take advantage of a fine trigger pull when precision is needed.

A polished DA shooter can do fine work in the double action mode, but he'd get laughed off the range at a bullseye match.

If I have to make a shot in any situation that requires real precision, I'm shooting single action.
I don't doubt that at all regarding precision and SA.

I shoot my Security Six DA and SA on my own time.

Our training in the USMC had nothing to do with bullseye though, it was all combat shooting, hitting the FBI 'milk bottle' targets out to 25 yards. All DA, from the snapped holster, mod weaver, barricades, weak-hand, etc, etc.

Originally Posted by SargeMO
They put hammers on DA revolvers for a reason, all right; to take advantage of a fine trigger pull when precision is needed.

A polished DA shooter can do fine work in the double action mode, but he'd get laughed off the range at a bullseye match.

If I have to make a shot in any situation that requires real precision, I'm shooting single action.

I don't know what classifies as "precision" but I sure as fugk don't see many PPC shooters thumbing the hammer from the 50.

I also wouldn't want them aiming at my dick from the 50.

And I got a small dick.

Dave
Double action revolvers are my favorite handguns, but I've never really focused hard on shooting them double action until a couple of years ago. My trigger control has improved but controlling the revolver is more difficult. Unless the grip is made of soft rubber like a Hogue monogrip or the old Lett grips that Ruger used to put on their GP100, I can't seem to control the squirm. With any wooden grip (except the huge old S&W target grips) the gun rotates clockwise (looking down at it) and jumps up in my fist incrementally. This, of course, causes my second shot to strike a different POI. I've tried gripping harder with different fingers and I've tried several different grips to no avail. I've considered getting full checkered wood grips from Herretts, but that's quite an investment. I'd rather improve my technique.

I really want to be able to use wood grips on my favorite Smiths, can anyone help? Probably I should mention that I have relatively small hands, so I can't use grips that cover the backstrap.

Are you left handed?

Dave
Originally Posted by deflave

I don't know what classifies as "precision" but I sure as fugk don't see many PPC shooters thumbing the hammer from the 50.

I also wouldn't want them aiming at my dick from the 50.

And I got a small dick.

Dave

LMAO

In my mind 'precision. with a pistol is the ability to consistently hit the X or 10 ring of a bullseye target from 25-50 yards.

I've shot PPC with some Distinguished Pin holders and got within a very few points one myself. A pack of smokes at 50 yards is in peril, if they're having a good day. Two handed. A polished bullseye shooter will do it one-handed firing single action.
So you're saying a PPC shooter's score will increase if they choose to shoot SA?

Dave
It kind of depends on the purpose. Slow and deliberate with target ammo, or fast and furious with fighting ammo. Two very different things.

It's been 20 years since I left Quantico, but I'm trying to remember the course of fire we shot, here's my best memory,

This is with the Model 19, shooting 38 Spl +P 125 Hydra Shok. All from the snapped holster, body bladed, hands in the 'interview' position. Combat reloads included in the time, using a speedloader from a snapped pouch.

3 yards - 2-rounds in 2 seconds, six times (12 rounds)

7 yards - 12 rounds in 15 seconds

15 yards - 12 rounds in 20 seconds

25 yards - 12 rounds in 30 seconds, second cylinder weak-hand.

Anyway, that was the 'meat and potatoes' of our revolver qual, using the FBI Q target.
We used the uninterrupted trigger pull at the 3 and 7, and a quick 'stage and squeeze' at the 15 and 25.
With mastery of an interrupted trigger pull, there is no need to break your shooting grip (to thumb the hammer). It's very fast, but still very deliberate.

I was taught to use the thumb of the supporting hand to cock the hammer on a double action revolver. No interrupting of grip.

This.
If taught properly DA shooting isn't very hard and I find it more accurate than SA shooting...

20 yards with a 5" 57...

[Linked Image]

3" 57...

[Linked Image]

10 yards...58...

[Linked Image]

1983...25 yards...the one out was called...

[Linked Image]

2004...50'...blank target...first round was the aiming point for the next five.

[Linked Image]

Mackay Sagebrush didn't believe it either until he tried it at 3-400 yards. I teach DA shooing during the NRA Basic Pistol Course. Hardly any of the students go back to SA and 60-95% of the students in a class have better groups DA...

Bob

Originally Posted by RJM
If taught properly DA shooting isn't very hard and I find it more accurate than SA shooting...
If that were the case, the best bullseye competitors would all have edged out those who hadn't yet switched to exclusively shooting double action.

In other words, it's clearly not the case that double action shooting has greater accuracy potential than single action.
RJM, nice. That's some great shooting.
Either try it, or STFU. I'm not guessing and there's a member on the fire that's seen me shoot 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds with a revolver.
We used to have an open challenge to the Marine students to shoot the 'smiley face' on their Q target, like Mel Gibson did in the movie Lethal Weapon.

25 yards. Some looked sorta like a face....a messed up face, but a face nonetheless. It was just for fun to wind up the live-fire range after quals were done. Good times.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

God damn, you're a frigging tool. From being an expert on goat and elk hunting, Dakota rifles etc in the early days to this crap.

Amazing what you've done in your parent's basement.

All that, and he's a mathematician too laugh :

Originally Posted by USSR1991
Figure $.05 per piece.

Don
So a dollar per 200 cases?
Wow, there are some terrific DA shooters here. Any advice about gripping pressure? Anyone else had similar problems and found a solution?

Flave, no I'm right handed.
Daily quality dry-fire practice. Make every hammer release count and when you find you can no longer hold a good sight picture call it a day. Only practice and re-enforce a solid release, might only be a dozen or so "shots" the first time. You should be able to work up to 100's of dry-fire "shots", but put your full concentration and consider every "shot" as if your life depended on it. It's surprising how when you really concentrate on sight picture and squeezing off a shot it is very mentally fatiguing.

I'd say put in a couple weeks of quality dry-fire practice before your next range session and you should be amazed at the improvement in your shooting.
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Daily quality dry-fire practice. Make every hammer release count and when you find you can no longer hold a good sight picture call it a day. Only practice and re-enforce a solid release, might only be a dozen or so "shots" the first time. You should be able to work up to 100's of dry-fire "shots", but put your full concentration and consider every "shot" as if your life depended on it. It's surprising how when you really concentrate on sight picture and squeezing off a shot it is very mentally fatiguing.

I'd say put in a couple weeks of quality dry-fire practice before your next range session and you should be amazed at the improvement in your shooting.
This. I started doing that after reading McGivern's book. Another thing from his book that helped a great deal was to focus on the release of the double action trigger as much as the pull during dry fire practice, i.e., keeping the sights aligned through the release, too. That alone will improve your accuracy a lot.

And, like I said earlier, if you're doing it right, you will develop a blister, then a callus. When you have a nicely callused trigger finger, you will have put in enough time to have a really good double action trigger pull.
Hacks have taught people to stage double action triggers from days of old. It's wrongheaded. The double action pull needs to sweep all the way through, from start to finish, without delay or change in pace, all the while keeping the sights aligned on the target.

+1 but may I add to shoot with both eyes open and "drive" the front sight with the trigger finger. Worked for me shooting in PPC matches.

Had a trigger brake on one of my M10 38 specials. That's cheating but they DO work once you get used to it.
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

This. I started doing that after reading McGivern's book. Another thing from his book that helped a great deal was to focus on the release of the double action trigger as much as the pull during dry fire practice, i.e., keeping the sights aligned through the release, too. That alone will improve your accuracy a lot.

And, like I said earlier, if you're doing it right, you will develop a blister, then a callus. When you have a nicely callused trigger finger, you will have put in enough time to have a really good double action trigger pull.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but you don't seem like a very good shot.

So you probably shouldn't coach shooting.

Dave
I started doing that after reading McGivern's book. Another thing from his book that helped a great deal was to focus on the release of the double action trigger as much as the pull during dry fire practice, i.e., keeping the sights aligned through the release, too. That alone will improve your accuracy a lot.

BS. reading a book ain't gonna learn ya how to shoot. Find a coach that can shoot and start going to range with a 5 gallon bucket of your ammo and SHOOT, and shoot, and shoot, and shoot,... repeat as necessary.

Ain't cheap !!! $$$$$$$$$$$

+1, Never ever cock the hammer with the strong hand. Results in an inconsistent grip.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but you don't seem like a very good shot.

So you probably shouldn't coach shooting.

Dave
Back when I was carrying double action revolvers, I was pretty good. After going through the training recommendations in McGivern's book, I entered a practical revolver course contest and did very well. I believe I finished third. Had I not had a couple of pulled bullets in the cylinder tie me up, I would have finished first.
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
I started doing that after reading McGivern's book. Another thing from his book that helped a great deal was to focus on the release of the double action trigger as much as the pull during dry fire practice, i.e., keeping the sights aligned through the release, too. That alone will improve your accuracy a lot.

BS. reading a book ain't gonna learn ya how to shoot. Find a coach that can shoot and start going to range with a 5 gallon bucket of your ammo and SHOOT, and shoot, and shoot, and shoot,... repeat as necessary.

Ain't cheap !!! $$$$$$$$$$$

Hate to tell ya this but where do you think I leaned...McGiverns book, No Second Place Winner by Jordan and SIXGUNS by Keith...

..and finding a good shooter who also knows how to teach...good luck.
Nice targets posted above but strongly think they were slow fire DA shooting ie: stacking the trigger.

Try PPC. Our club league first stage was 12 shots/6 seconds and that's with a reload.

Again, nice targets, Sir.
On the original question... I put this up long before this thread, but it applies. Please note that it refers to basic proficiency and does not profess to transform anybody into the national PPC champ.

Good Double-Action Revolver Shooting

A recent internet discussion tried to establish a pat set of instructions for good DA revolver work. This got me to thinking (always a dangerous thing). While the objectives of good DA revolver work are widely known, there can be no ‘pat’ set of instructions that will work for all shooters. The foundation element of good DA revolver work is the grip, and you simply cannot tell someone how to do that. The variables of hand size, hand strength and handgun grips make it an individual journey, which can be made easier by a shooting coach that knows his stuff. Once that is accomplished, the objective is to send the shot away with as little disturbance as possible to the sight picture.

I learned DA shooting in an environment where they shoved you a rack-grade, fixed sight S&W and your need for a paycheck served as incentive to keep your scores above 70% for sixteen weeks. Some of us were shooters before we arrived and in short order we were getting at least some 9’s and X’s on a B27 from 50 yards. We didn’t bitch about the trigger; it wouldn’t have been well received. We simply paid attention to what the R/O said and applied ourselves to the task. By the third month, several of us were crowding a Distinguished pin. So don’t tell me it can’t be done and done very well, with stock revolvers.

A couple of years later, I learned some things from an old armorer and started doing DA action jobs- but not on cop guns. I soon learned what worked and what didn’t. Wheelguns were hot then and regular guys all wanted a PPC trigger for 40 bucks.

You can lose reliability real quick by over-lightening either the mainspring or the trigger return spring. You can in fact make the action so sluggish that a really fast shooter can ‘outrun’ it. Stick with stock mainsprings, resist the urge to back that screw out too much and never cut more than one coil off the stock S&W return spring. Leave the single-action sear alone. The rest is polishing the moving components that comprise the DA stroke and you can get a very nice, reliable trigger that will never cause a misfire or retard the trigger reset.

There’s defensive shooting, competition shooting and exhibition shooting.

There’s a time to shoot fast and a time to shoot slow. Some guys ‘stage’ a DA trigger for precise shooting and pull it straight through quick for close work. That works pretty well for me. All things being equal, a smooth, reliable action won’t make you shoot any worse. But no matter how good you make a DA trigger, it will never replace an ingrained application of the basics, a will to excel and a lot of practice with a single purpose of making every shot go exactly where you intend it to go. You get those things down and you’ll be shooting so well you won’t need a crutch.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/good-double-action-revolver-shooting/

Great article Sarge! Thx to all who made helpful comments. Sounds like I need to find some personal instruction.

makes a lot of sense, and I agree. Two of my revolvers though, are DAO, and they are NOT target guns. They are for close up social situations. I have no problem with controlling them.

Not to hi-jack but don't feel like the Lone Ranger, I can't hit chit firing my P226 40 cal in double action mode, if I had to yank that pistol and fire it, the damn target best be at arms length for me to hit it.

May as well punch the sombitch and avoid the paperwork. grin

This is why I like to carry 1911's, capacity notwithstanding, thumb that hammer safety down and a really nice trigger pull awaits.
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Nice targets posted above but strongly think they were slow fire DA shooting ie: stacking the trigger.

Try PPC. Our club league first stage was 12 shots/6 seconds and that's with a reload.

Again, nice targets, Sir.

I shot Police PPC as well as Revolver Class IPSC. Now also shoot Revolver Class IDPA. Most of those targets were straight through pulls...

This was 50 yards with a Ruger Redhawk whose action does not stack...

[Linked Image]

The one round off the target was about as far off as the top right one is in so it was right at a 6" group...that is about the best I can do at that distance any more...

12 shots in 6 seconds with a .38 at 3-5 yards is doable with practice. The guns I have shot in competition are the same ones I carry on the street...

Bob
Thanks for posting, Bob. It's obvious that you love to shoot. About the only shooting I get done anymore is slow fire @ 25/50 with the 1911 up by the pond where I have a nice pistol range.Take my 6 inch Python up there as well. DA sucks but SA is pure joy. I'm on my 3rd set of grips with that gun. Wore the first two sets smooth. It's my baby. cool

Must keep a handgun with me at all times in case of marauding whitetail deer. wink grin grin

Miss PPC and IHMSA a bunch.

Stay well.
..yea...it sucks to get old...but look at all the fun we had getting here....

I've gotten to shoot a Reeves Junkin Python...that was about as slick a DA as it gets...
I need to find a 686 or 586 to compare it to my Ruger and Colt.
If somebody really wants to learn to shoot DA by the numbers, I highly recommend Dot Torture. Add a timer or distance once you are good and tight from the 3.

https://pistol-training.com/drills/dot-torture
Balance a coin on the ribe on the barrel. Try to work the trigger and keep the coin on top. Sooner or later you will get tired of picking the coin up and learn to handle the DA pull.
Originally Posted by Colo_Wolf
Balance a coin on the ribe on the barrel. Try to work the trigger and keep the coin on top. Sooner or later you will get tired of picking the coin up and learn to handle the DA pull.
Yep. The guy who originally taught me to shoot double action showed me the same trick back in 1980. He was a retired deputy/NRA instructor.
Originally Posted by gunner500

Not to hi-jack but don't feel like the Lone Ranger, I can't hit chit firing my P226 40 cal in double action mode, if I had to yank that pistol and fire it, the damn target best be at arms length for me to hit it.

This is why I like to carry 1911's, capacity notwithstanding, thumb that hammer safety down and a really nice trigger pull awaits.

Take a look here when you get a chance.

Internet Angst Abounds over the dreaded ‘transition’ from DA to SA, but if I can learn it so can you. Ernest Langdon, the Bruce Lee of DA/SA autos, has a clear, concise trio of videos to help you along.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/the-benefits-and-proficient-use-of-the-dasa-autopistol/

I've trained with, and carried, conventional double action automatic pistols several times over the 37 years I've been shooting and carrying handguns. I can learn the transition from double to single action just fine, and generally speaking my shots from the first to subsequent rounds land in the same group. That is, until I make a concerted effort to simulate an emergency draw and fire, while trying to simulate the appropriate emotional state while doing it. In that case, almost invariably, the first round goes low, followed by subsequent rounds landing in a tight group where I intended all of them to go.

Now, that would most likely be just fine in a self-defense shooting, since a belly shot, followed quickly by several upper chest shots should be about as effective as all chest shots, but I like all my rounds to go where I intend them to go, and train as I might, I just never could get there with a traditional double action auto. I can with a double action revolver, a single action auto, and a Glock type (striker fired) action, but not with a traditional double action.
Originally Posted by RJM
I've gotten to shoot a Reeves Junkin Python...that was about as slick a DA as it gets...

Is he the guy that installs a roller bearing of sorts into the action ? I've heard they are very slick.

Also have another Python done by Frank Glenn but don't shoot it much.
Don't know for sure but I don't think so...

Having grips that fit is no more of a crutch than having pants that fit. S&W target grips were developed for bullseye shooters, and they work pretty well for that. They're ahhm, not so good for other uses. Much of the shooting done in McGivern's book was done with revolvers equipped with custom grips or grip adapters, etc. Same with most of Elmer Keith's books.

Take a look at http://ahrendsgripsusa.com/revolver.htm and http://www.herrettstocks.com/ for grips that look good and that fit your hands.

Okie John
Herrett's Shooting Star is a damn good DA grip for folks with medium size hands.
http://herrettstocks.com/cshtstar.htm

[Linked Image]\
Herrett's Shooting Star is a damn good DA grip for folks with medium size hands.
http://herrettstocks.com/cshtstar.htm

[Linked Image]\

Concur, they are my favorite to date that I've tried.
More good helpful stuff. Thanks y'all! Has anyone sent Herretts a hand tracing? Did it result in grips that fit you better than their normal grips?
I have a couple of Smiths that the double action is real smooth, but I find myself shooting them like a single action, without thinking. It is just too damn built in to hammer it back. miles
Originally Posted by milespatton
I have a couple of Smiths that the double action is real smooth, but I find myself shooting them like a single action, without thinking. It is just too damn built in to hammer it back. miles

That's because you're retarded.

Dave
Unless the grip is made of soft rubber like a Hogue monogrip or the old Lett grips that Ruger used to put on their GP100, I can't seem to control the squirm.

This tells me your grip is off.

Describe your grip.

You don't need a custom stocks to lay down tight groups in DA.

Travis
Unless the grip is made of soft rubber like a Hogue monogrip or the old Lett grips that Ruger used to put on their GP100, I can't seem to control the squirm.

BS. Blank piece of paper, center hold, so close yer gonna leave powder burns.Rapid fire. Get good at it.Work your way back as you progress.

Originally Posted by gunner500

Take a look here when you get a chance.

Internet Angst Abounds over the dreaded ‘transition’ from DA to SA, but if I can learn it so can you. Ernest Langdon, the Bruce Lee of DA/SA autos, has a clear, concise trio of videos to help you along.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/the-benefits-and-proficient-use-of-the-dasa-autopistol/

Thanks for those Sarge, I'll watch them this morning.
Nice videos Sarge, I gotta get me some steel to pistol shoot with. wink
I too, think that I shouldn't need custom grips to shoot decently in double action. I keep thinking, "I must be doing something wrong."

I'm right handed. Right thumb is down against my middle finger tip. Left thumb is right on top of my right, thumb print on thumb nail. Recoil hump down low against the web of my hand, gun pretty well lined up with my forearm, trigger on the first digit.

Everything feels perfectly secure while dry firing, but under recoil the grip jumps down in my hand and rotates clockwise in my hand, both just a trifle but enough to no longer be a solid grip. This change also causes my finger to engage the trigger at a different point.

Could be that I'm not gripping hard enough, but even when I focus on that it doesn't seem to help.
Try a Tylor T Grip adaptor.
If you mentioned what revolver and grips you are using WW, I missed it. Sorry.
I too, think that I shouldn't need custom grips to shoot decently in double action. I keep thinking, "I must be doing something wrong."

I'm right handed. Right thumb is down against my middle finger tip. Left thumb is right on top of my right, thumb print on thumb nail. Recoil hump down low against the web of my hand, gun pretty well lined up with my forearm, trigger on the first digit.

Everything feels perfectly secure while dry firing, but under recoil the grip jumps down in my hand and rotates clockwise in my hand, both just a trifle but enough to no longer be a solid grip. This change also causes my finger to engage the trigger at a different point.

Could be that I'm not gripping hard enough, but even when I focus on that it doesn't seem to help.

What do you groups look like @ 7 yds?

Dave
What do you groups look like @ 7 yds?Dave

Thinking he same thing. If they're nice and round he's f'cked. Difficult to read.

Go back to blank paper and do RAPID fire up REAL close. Work his way back until mistakes start to appear in the grouping. Eliminating an aiming point in this case is beneficial. Bring the gun up to the eyes, don't bring the eyes down to the gun.
Agreed.

Not enough people shoot on blank targets. It tells you much.

Clark
I have several S&W revolvers, but the ones I'm using to learn DA shooting are a 4" square butt M19 and a 4" round butt M620, which is a half lug 686+. I also have a couple of GP100s, both 4".

I have Hogue finger groove grips for the 620 that work ok for traction but are ugly and extend too far below the bottom of the frame. I love revolvers with wood grips so I've tried grips from Altamont and something similar to Jordan Troopers. I have an old set of S&W grips for the 19 that seem like a good fit for my hand, look something like Ropers. They are smaller than the huge target grips from the 80s. The GPs have the old compact Letts grips. These fit my hand wonderfully and don't squirm at all. The problem is, the Rugers ar okay but I love my Smiths and want to be able to shoot them well.

I appreciate all the good ideas about improving my trigger control and I intend to put them to use. But I believe that this squirming problem is limiting my progress since it causes the gun to shift in my hand just a bit at each recoil.
Sounds like a set of K and L frame coke bottles are worth a look at.
I have several S&W revolvers, but the ones I'm using to learn DA shooting are a 4" square butt M19 and a 4" round butt M620, which is a half lug 686+. I also have a couple of GP100s, both 4".

I have Hogue finger groove grips for the 620 that work ok for traction but are ugly and extend too far below the bottom of the frame. I love revolvers with wood grips so I've tried grips from Altamont and something similar to Jordan Troopers. I have an old set of S&W grips for the 19 that seem like a good fit for my hand, look something like Ropers. They are smaller than the huge target grips from the 80s. The GPs have the old compact Letts grips. These fit my hand wonderfully and don't squirm at all. The problem is, the Rugers ar okay but I love my Smiths and want to be able to shoot them well.

I appreciate all the good ideas about improving my trigger control and I intend to put them to use. But I believe that this squirming problem is limiting my progress since it causes the gun to shift in my hand just a bit at each recoil.

Try magna style grips if you haven't already.

Travis
WW, sounds like a lot of pistols. Focus on one. Plenty of time later on to play with the others. You're all over the map, Sir.
That's good advice, too. Truly, I've been trying to identify the best revolver platform to learn DA shooting. The M19 has the best trigger ( go figure), the M620 is the most accurate, and the GP grip works best for my hand.
WW, my personal choice for a DA only gun would be the following. S&W Model 65 with 4 inch HEAVY barrel, Pachmayr grippers, or Ahrends finger groove, bobbed hammer, and a spring change. Dry fire the living crap out of it and I do mean dry fire the living crap out of it to smooth the internals and a spring change afterwards if your trigger finger tells you to do so. Great habit to get into while watching TV. cool Makes a dandy DA only gun.Pretty tough to beat on the line as well as for EDC.

Go in peace and keep us posted, Sir (thumbs up)

I let a solid 4" M65 slip through my fingers about a year ago, been kicking myself ever since.

This weekend I wasn't able to shoot, but did quite a bit of dry firing and also just examining how my hand fits around different grips. I found that grips with a more circular shape right behind the trigger guard (most S&W grips that don't cover the backstrap) don't feel as stable to me as grips with an elongated oval in the same area (Lett grips for GP100). Makes sense that with rounder grips it would be more difficult to control rotational forces.
Get yourself a 4 inch 65 and dry fire it a thousand times or so. Even more won't hurt. Seriously. Sitting watching TV and just run the trigger a few dozen times each night during the commercials as all you're doing is smoothing the internals.

Park the other guns during this period and enjoy. Do you reload ???
I don't cast, but I do reload.
I don't cast, but I do reload.

Think wadcutters. Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and,..... grin

148 DEWC's

© 24hourcampfire