Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunner500

Not to hi-jack but don't feel like the Lone Ranger, I can't hit chit firing my P226 40 cal in double action mode, if I had to yank that pistol and fire it, the damn target best be at arms length for me to hit it.

May as well punch the sombitch and avoid the paperwork. grin

This is why I like to carry 1911's, capacity notwithstanding, thumb that hammer safety down and a really nice trigger pull awaits.

Take a look here when you get a chance.

Internet Angst Abounds over the dreaded ‘transition’ from DA to SA, but if I can learn it so can you. Ernest Langdon, the Bruce Lee of DA/SA autos, has a clear, concise trio of videos to help you along.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/the-benefits-and-proficient-use-of-the-dasa-autopistol/

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've trained with, and carried, conventional double action automatic pistols several times over the 37 years I've been shooting and carrying handguns. I can learn the transition from double to single action just fine, and generally speaking my shots from the first to subsequent rounds land in the same group. That is, until I make a concerted effort to simulate an emergency draw and fire, while trying to simulate the appropriate emotional state while doing it. In that case, almost invariably, the first round goes low, followed by subsequent rounds landing in a tight group where I intended all of them to go.

Now, that would most likely be just fine in a self-defense shooting, since a belly shot, followed quickly by several upper chest shots should be about as effective as all chest shots, but I like all my rounds to go where I intend them to go, and train as I might, I just never could get there with a traditional double action auto. I can with a double action revolver, a single action auto, and a Glock type (striker fired) action, but not with a traditional double action.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJM
I've gotten to shoot a Reeves Junkin Python...that was about as slick a DA as it gets...

Is he the guy that installs a roller bearing of sorts into the action ? I've heard they are very slick.

Also have another Python done by Frank Glenn but don't shoot it much.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Don't know for sure but I don't think so...

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by WildernessWanderer
I really want to be able to use wood grips on my favorite Smiths, can anyone help? Probably I should mention that I have relatively small hands, so I can't use grips that cover the backstrap.

Having grips that fit is no more of a crutch than having pants that fit. S&W target grips were developed for bullseye shooters, and they work pretty well for that. They're ahhm, not so good for other uses. Much of the shooting done in McGivern's book was done with revolvers equipped with custom grips or grip adapters, etc. Same with most of Elmer Keith's books.

Take a look at http://ahrendsgripsusa.com/revolver.htm and http://www.herrettstocks.com/ for grips that look good and that fit your hands.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Herrett's Shooting Star is a damn good DA grip for folks with medium size hands.
http://herrettstocks.com/cshtstar.htm

[Linked Image]\

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Herrett's Shooting Star is a damn good DA grip for folks with medium size hands.
http://herrettstocks.com/cshtstar.htm

[Linked Image]\

Concur, they are my favorite to date that I've tried.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
More good helpful stuff. Thanks y'all! Has anyone sent Herretts a hand tracing? Did it result in grips that fit you better than their normal grips?

A man's capacity is usually relative to his goals.
-Karl Erlich, The Sea Chase
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a couple of Smiths that the double action is real smooth, but I find myself shooting them like a single action, without thinking. It is just too damn built in to hammer it back. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by milespatton
I have a couple of Smiths that the double action is real smooth, but I find myself shooting them like a single action, without thinking. It is just too damn built in to hammer it back. miles

That's because you're retarded.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Unless the grip is made of soft rubber like a Hogue monogrip or the old Lett grips that Ruger used to put on their GP100, I can't seem to control the squirm.

This tells me your grip is off.

Describe your grip.

You don't need a custom stocks to lay down tight groups in DA.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unless the grip is made of soft rubber like a Hogue monogrip or the old Lett grips that Ruger used to put on their GP100, I can't seem to control the squirm.

BS. Blank piece of paper, center hold, so close yer gonna leave powder burns.Rapid fire. Get good at it.Work your way back as you progress.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Originally Posted by gunner500

Not to hi-jack but don't feel like the Lone Ranger, I can't hit chit firing my P226 40 cal in double action mode, if I had to yank that pistol and fire it, the damn target best be at arms length for me to hit it.

May as well punch the sombitch and avoid the paperwork. grin

This is why I like to carry 1911's, capacity notwithstanding, thumb that hammer safety down and a really nice trigger pull awaits.

Take a look here when you get a chance.

Internet Angst Abounds over the dreaded ‘transition’ from DA to SA, but if I can learn it so can you. Ernest Langdon, the Bruce Lee of DA/SA autos, has a clear, concise trio of videos to help you along.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/the-benefits-and-proficient-use-of-the-dasa-autopistol/

Thanks for those Sarge, I'll watch them this morning.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice videos Sarge, I gotta get me some steel to pistol shoot with. wink

Trump Won!
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I too, think that I shouldn't need custom grips to shoot decently in double action. I keep thinking, "I must be doing something wrong."

I'm right handed. Right thumb is down against my middle finger tip. Left thumb is right on top of my right, thumb print on thumb nail. Recoil hump down low against the web of my hand, gun pretty well lined up with my forearm, trigger on the first digit.

Everything feels perfectly secure while dry firing, but under recoil the grip jumps down in my hand and rotates clockwise in my hand, both just a trifle but enough to no longer be a solid grip. This change also causes my finger to engage the trigger at a different point.

Could be that I'm not gripping hard enough, but even when I focus on that it doesn't seem to help.

A man's capacity is usually relative to his goals.
-Karl Erlich, The Sea Chase
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Try a Tylor T Grip adaptor.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you mentioned what revolver and grips you are using WW, I missed it. Sorry.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I too, think that I shouldn't need custom grips to shoot decently in double action. I keep thinking, "I must be doing something wrong."

I'm right handed. Right thumb is down against my middle finger tip. Left thumb is right on top of my right, thumb print on thumb nail. Recoil hump down low against the web of my hand, gun pretty well lined up with my forearm, trigger on the first digit.

Everything feels perfectly secure while dry firing, but under recoil the grip jumps down in my hand and rotates clockwise in my hand, both just a trifle but enough to no longer be a solid grip. This change also causes my finger to engage the trigger at a different point.

Could be that I'm not gripping hard enough, but even when I focus on that it doesn't seem to help.

What do you groups look like @ 7 yds?

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
What do you groups look like @ 7 yds?Dave

Thinking he same thing. If they're nice and round he's f'cked. Difficult to read.

Go back to blank paper and do RAPID fire up REAL close. Work his way back until mistakes start to appear in the grouping. Eliminating an aiming point in this case is beneficial. Bring the gun up to the eyes, don't bring the eyes down to the gun.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Agreed.

Not enough people shoot on blank targets. It tells you much.

Clark

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

272 members (219 Wasp, 2five7, 1lessdog, 29aholic, 1_deuce, 01Foreman400, 38 invisible), 2,291 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,206
Posts18,503,822
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.