Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I have several S&W revolvers, but the ones I'm using to learn DA shooting are a 4" square butt M19 and a 4" round butt M620, which is a half lug 686+. I also have a couple of GP100s, both 4".

I have Hogue finger groove grips for the 620 that work ok for traction but are ugly and extend too far below the bottom of the frame. I love revolvers with wood grips so I've tried grips from Altamont and something similar to Jordan Troopers. I have an old set of S&W grips for the 19 that seem like a good fit for my hand, look something like Ropers. They are smaller than the huge target grips from the 80s. The GPs have the old compact Letts grips. These fit my hand wonderfully and don't squirm at all. The problem is, the Rugers ar okay but I love my Smiths and want to be able to shoot them well.

I appreciate all the good ideas about improving my trigger control and I intend to put them to use. But I believe that this squirming problem is limiting my progress since it causes the gun to shift in my hand just a bit at each recoil.

A man's capacity is usually relative to his goals.
-Karl Erlich, The Sea Chase
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Sounds like a set of K and L frame coke bottles are worth a look at.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by WildernessWanderer
I have several S&W revolvers, but the ones I'm using to learn DA shooting are a 4" square butt M19 and a 4" round butt M620, which is a half lug 686+. I also have a couple of GP100s, both 4".

I have Hogue finger groove grips for the 620 that work ok for traction but are ugly and extend too far below the bottom of the frame. I love revolvers with wood grips so I've tried grips from Altamont and something similar to Jordan Troopers. I have an old set of S&W grips for the 19 that seem like a good fit for my hand, look something like Ropers. They are smaller than the huge target grips from the 80s. The GPs have the old compact Letts grips. These fit my hand wonderfully and don't squirm at all. The problem is, the Rugers ar okay but I love my Smiths and want to be able to shoot them well.

I appreciate all the good ideas about improving my trigger control and I intend to put them to use. But I believe that this squirming problem is limiting my progress since it causes the gun to shift in my hand just a bit at each recoil.

Try magna style grips if you haven't already.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WW, sounds like a lot of pistols. Focus on one. Plenty of time later on to play with the others. You're all over the map, Sir.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
That's good advice, too. Truly, I've been trying to identify the best revolver platform to learn DA shooting. The M19 has the best trigger ( go figure), the M620 is the most accurate, and the GP grip works best for my hand.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WW, my personal choice for a DA only gun would be the following. S&W Model 65 with 4 inch HEAVY barrel, Pachmayr grippers, or Ahrends finger groove, bobbed hammer, and a spring change. Dry fire the living crap out of it and I do mean dry fire the living crap out of it to smooth the internals and a spring change afterwards if your trigger finger tells you to do so. Great habit to get into while watching TV. cool Makes a dandy DA only gun.Pretty tough to beat on the line as well as for EDC.

Go in peace and keep us posted, Sir (thumbs up)

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I let a solid 4" M65 slip through my fingers about a year ago, been kicking myself ever since.

This weekend I wasn't able to shoot, but did quite a bit of dry firing and also just examining how my hand fits around different grips. I found that grips with a more circular shape right behind the trigger guard (most S&W grips that don't cover the backstrap) don't feel as stable to me as grips with an elongated oval in the same area (Lett grips for GP100). Makes sense that with rounder grips it would be more difficult to control rotational forces.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get yourself a 4 inch 65 and dry fire it a thousand times or so. Even more won't hurt. Seriously. Sitting watching TV and just run the trigger a few dozen times each night during the commercials as all you're doing is smoothing the internals.

Park the other guns during this period and enjoy. Do you reload ???

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I don't cast, but I do reload.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WildernessWanderer
I don't cast, but I do reload.

Think wadcutters. Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and,..... grin

148 DEWC's

IC B3

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

486 members (17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 51 invisible), 2,138 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,246
Posts18,504,631
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.