Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Daily quality dry-fire practice. Make every hammer release count and when you find you can no longer hold a good sight picture call it a day. Only practice and re-enforce a solid release, might only be a dozen or so "shots" the first time. You should be able to work up to 100's of dry-fire "shots", but put your full concentration and consider every "shot" as if your life depended on it. It's surprising how when you really concentrate on sight picture and squeezing off a shot it is very mentally fatiguing.

I'd say put in a couple weeks of quality dry-fire practice before your next range session and you should be amazed at the improvement in your shooting.
This. I started doing that after reading McGivern's book. Another thing from his book that helped a great deal was to focus on the release of the double action trigger as much as the pull during dry fire practice, i.e., keeping the sights aligned through the release, too. That alone will improve your accuracy a lot.

And, like I said earlier, if you're doing it right, you will develop a blister, then a callus. When you have a nicely callused trigger finger, you will have put in enough time to have a really good double action trigger pull.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Hacks have taught people to stage double action triggers from days of old. It's wrongheaded. The double action pull needs to sweep all the way through, from start to finish, without delay or change in pace, all the while keeping the sights aligned on the target.

+1 but may I add to shoot with both eyes open and "drive" the front sight with the trigger finger. Worked for me shooting in PPC matches.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jac3k
Are you staging the trigger?

Had a trigger brake on one of my M10 38 specials. That's cheating but they DO work once you get used to it.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Daily quality dry-fire practice. Make every hammer release count and when you find you can no longer hold a good sight picture call it a day. Only practice and re-enforce a solid release, might only be a dozen or so "shots" the first time. You should be able to work up to 100's of dry-fire "shots", but put your full concentration and consider every "shot" as if your life depended on it. It's surprising how when you really concentrate on sight picture and squeezing off a shot it is very mentally fatiguing.

I'd say put in a couple weeks of quality dry-fire practice before your next range session and you should be amazed at the improvement in your shooting.
This. I started doing that after reading McGivern's book. Another thing from his book that helped a great deal was to focus on the release of the double action trigger as much as the pull during dry fire practice, i.e., keeping the sights aligned through the release, too. That alone will improve your accuracy a lot.

And, like I said earlier, if you're doing it right, you will develop a blister, then a callus. When you have a nicely callused trigger finger, you will have put in enough time to have a really good double action trigger pull.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but you don't seem like a very good shot.

So you probably shouldn't coach shooting.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I started doing that after reading McGivern's book. Another thing from his book that helped a great deal was to focus on the release of the double action trigger as much as the pull during dry fire practice, i.e., keeping the sights aligned through the release, too. That alone will improve your accuracy a lot.

BS. reading a book ain't gonna learn ya how to shoot. Find a coach that can shoot and start going to range with a 5 gallon bucket of your ammo and SHOOT, and shoot, and shoot, and shoot,... repeat as necessary.

Ain't cheap !!! $$$$$$$$$$$

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
With mastery of an interrupted trigger pull, there is no need to break your shooting grip (to thumb the hammer). It's very fast, but still very deliberate.

It does require a serious commitment to training.

+1, Never ever cock the hammer with the strong hand. Results in an inconsistent grip.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by deflave

I'm not trying to be a dick, but you don't seem like a very good shot.

So you probably shouldn't coach shooting.

Dave
Back when I was carrying double action revolvers, I was pretty good. After going through the training recommendations in McGivern's book, I entered a practical revolver course contest and did very well. I believe I finished third. Had I not had a couple of pulled bullets in the cylinder tie me up, I would have finished first.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
I started doing that after reading McGivern's book. Another thing from his book that helped a great deal was to focus on the release of the double action trigger as much as the pull during dry fire practice, i.e., keeping the sights aligned through the release, too. That alone will improve your accuracy a lot.

BS. reading a book ain't gonna learn ya how to shoot. Find a coach that can shoot and start going to range with a 5 gallon bucket of your ammo and SHOOT, and shoot, and shoot, and shoot,... repeat as necessary.

Ain't cheap !!! $$$$$$$$$$$

Hate to tell ya this but where do you think I leaned...McGiverns book, No Second Place Winner by Jordan and SIXGUNS by Keith...

..and finding a good shooter who also knows how to teach...good luck.

Last edited by RJM; 02/01/17.

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice targets posted above but strongly think they were slow fire DA shooting ie: stacking the trigger.

Try PPC. Our club league first stage was 12 shots/6 seconds and that's with a reload.

Again, nice targets, Sir.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On the original question... I put this up long before this thread, but it applies. Please note that it refers to basic proficiency and does not profess to transform anybody into the national PPC champ.

Good Double-Action Revolver Shooting

A recent internet discussion tried to establish a pat set of instructions for good DA revolver work. This got me to thinking (always a dangerous thing). While the objectives of good DA revolver work are widely known, there can be no ‘pat’ set of instructions that will work for all shooters. The foundation element of good DA revolver work is the grip, and you simply cannot tell someone how to do that. The variables of hand size, hand strength and handgun grips make it an individual journey, which can be made easier by a shooting coach that knows his stuff. Once that is accomplished, the objective is to send the shot away with as little disturbance as possible to the sight picture.

I learned DA shooting in an environment where they shoved you a rack-grade, fixed sight S&W and your need for a paycheck served as incentive to keep your scores above 70% for sixteen weeks. Some of us were shooters before we arrived and in short order we were getting at least some 9’s and X’s on a B27 from 50 yards. We didn’t bitch about the trigger; it wouldn’t have been well received. We simply paid attention to what the R/O said and applied ourselves to the task. By the third month, several of us were crowding a Distinguished pin. So don’t tell me it can’t be done and done very well, with stock revolvers.

A couple of years later, I learned some things from an old armorer and started doing DA action jobs- but not on cop guns. I soon learned what worked and what didn’t. Wheelguns were hot then and regular guys all wanted a PPC trigger for 40 bucks.

You can lose reliability real quick by over-lightening either the mainspring or the trigger return spring. You can in fact make the action so sluggish that a really fast shooter can ‘outrun’ it. Stick with stock mainsprings, resist the urge to back that screw out too much and never cut more than one coil off the stock S&W return spring. Leave the single-action sear alone. The rest is polishing the moving components that comprise the DA stroke and you can get a very nice, reliable trigger that will never cause a misfire or retard the trigger reset.

There’s defensive shooting, competition shooting and exhibition shooting.

There’s a time to shoot fast and a time to shoot slow. Some guys ‘stage’ a DA trigger for precise shooting and pull it straight through quick for close work. That works pretty well for me. All things being equal, a smooth, reliable action won’t make you shoot any worse. But no matter how good you make a DA trigger, it will never replace an ingrained application of the basics, a will to excel and a lot of practice with a single purpose of making every shot go exactly where you intend it to go. You get those things down and you’ll be shooting so well you won’t need a crutch.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/good-double-action-revolver-shooting/

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
IC B3

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Great article Sarge! Thx to all who made helpful comments. Sounds like I need to find some personal instruction.

A man's capacity is usually relative to his goals.
-Karl Erlich, The Sea Chase
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SargeMO
They put hammers on DA revolvers for a reason, all right; to take advantage of a fine trigger pull when precision is needed.

A polished DA shooter can do fine work in the double action mode, but he'd get laughed off the range at a bullseye match.

If I have to make a shot in any situation that requires real precision, I'm shooting single action.

makes a lot of sense, and I agree. Two of my revolvers though, are DAO, and they are NOT target guns. They are for close up social situations. I have no problem with controlling them.

Sam......

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by WildernessWanderer
Double action revolvers are my favorite handguns, but I've never really focused hard on shooting them double action until a couple of years ago. My trigger control has improved but controlling the revolver is more difficult. Unless the grip is made of soft rubber like a Hogue monogrip or the old Lett grips that Ruger used to put on their GP100, I can't seem to control the squirm. With any wooden grip (except the huge old S&W target grips) the gun rotates clockwise (looking down at it) and jumps up in my fist incrementally. This, of course, causes my second shot to strike a different POI. I've tried gripping harder with different fingers and I've tried several different grips to no avail. I've considered getting full checkered wood grips from Herretts, but that's quite an investment. I'd rather improve my technique.

I really want to be able to use wood grips on my favorite Smiths, can anyone help? Probably I should mention that I have relatively small hands, so I can't use grips that cover the backstrap.

Not to hi-jack but don't feel like the Lone Ranger, I can't hit chit firing my P226 40 cal in double action mode, if I had to yank that pistol and fire it, the damn target best be at arms length for me to hit it.

May as well punch the sombitch and avoid the paperwork. grin

This is why I like to carry 1911's, capacity notwithstanding, thumb that hammer safety down and a really nice trigger pull awaits.

Trump Won!
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Nice targets posted above but strongly think they were slow fire DA shooting ie: stacking the trigger.

Try PPC. Our club league first stage was 12 shots/6 seconds and that's with a reload.

Again, nice targets, Sir.

I shot Police PPC as well as Revolver Class IPSC. Now also shoot Revolver Class IDPA. Most of those targets were straight through pulls...

This was 50 yards with a Ruger Redhawk whose action does not stack...

[Linked Image]

The one round off the target was about as far off as the top right one is in so it was right at a 6" group...that is about the best I can do at that distance any more...

12 shots in 6 seconds with a .38 at 3-5 yards is doable with practice. The guns I have shot in competition are the same ones I carry on the street...

Bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for posting, Bob. It's obvious that you love to shoot. About the only shooting I get done anymore is slow fire @ 25/50 with the 1911 up by the pond where I have a nice pistol range.Take my 6 inch Python up there as well. DA sucks but SA is pure joy. I'm on my 3rd set of grips with that gun. Wore the first two sets smooth. It's my baby. cool

Must keep a handgun with me at all times in case of marauding whitetail deer. wink grin grin

Miss PPC and IHMSA a bunch.

Stay well.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
..yea...it sucks to get old...but look at all the fun we had getting here....

I've gotten to shoot a Reeves Junkin Python...that was about as slick a DA as it gets...

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I need to find a 686 or 586 to compare it to my Ruger and Colt.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If somebody really wants to learn to shoot DA by the numbers, I highly recommend Dot Torture. Add a timer or distance once you are good and tight from the 3.

https://pistol-training.com/drills/dot-torture

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Balance a coin on the ribe on the barrel. Try to work the trigger and keep the coin on top. Sooner or later you will get tired of picking the coin up and learn to handle the DA pull.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Colo_Wolf
Balance a coin on the ribe on the barrel. Try to work the trigger and keep the coin on top. Sooner or later you will get tired of picking the coin up and learn to handle the DA pull.
Yep. The guy who originally taught me to shoot double action showed me the same trick back in 1980. He was a retired deputy/NRA instructor.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

226 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 280shooter, 338Rules, 30incher, 06hunter59, 34 invisible), 2,106 guests, and 1,024 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,324
Posts18,505,854
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.