I have a Garmin 64S and an Oregon, either would be all you need. They make versions with built in cameras and radios that can run up the price. I suggest the basic models of either. They are both comparable and at about the same price.

Normal price is about $400, but I see them at $300 quite often and around Christmas both were $200 at Cabelas. I'd had the 64S for several years and picked up the Oregon for at the sale price for my wife to use. If you are patient and wait on a deal there is no reason to buy the cheaper units.

The 64S has an external antenna and in theory should pick up signals better in heavy canopy or steep canyons. In practice I've had no issues with either.

The Oregon is touch screen that some find easier to use. The 64S has buttons that supposedly are more dependable. I can't use the Oregon with normal gloves, I can the 64S.

My wife and I volunteer on a team that searches for missing persons. At the end of the day we download the tracks onto computers to verify the areas searched. That is why I bought a 2nd device. You want at least 2, and 3 is better for each search team to get a better idea of the area you cover.

When we go on big searches there may be 50 people there with GPS units. The only ones I see are the 64S or the Garmin Rhino which is quite expensive. At this point none of the software is compatable with anything but Garmin.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.