Everything is a compromise, it all depends on your intended use for the rifle. If its a bench gun that you don't plan on walking far with, go with a long, heavy barrel. They are easier to shoot accurately and don't heat up as fast. If its a hunting rifle, I'd keep the length at 18" or so and go no heavier than a mid weight barrel.

I started my 308 with a 20" lighter weight Lilja (.750" under the handguards and forward of gas block) with a rifle length gas system. I love the barrel profile, no complaints with weight or accuracy. A while back I cut it back to 17" to be a little more handy with a suppressor attached. I also found it runs smoother with the gas port closer to the muzzle, especially with the suppressor.

Large frame 308's are fun to shoot but they aren't mountain rifles and really don't even make a practical hunting rifle. To get them to balance right, they need a little weight out front so they are usually going to be 9-10lbs+ with a scope on them.

Last edited by wareagle700; 02/12/17.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."