Without much thought to it, I have accumulated a number of "lightweight" rifles. After shooting them all, I have come to the conclusion about the best fitting rifle for me.

The guns.

Pre-64 Model 70 FWT in 270 & 243
Model 70 XTR FWT in 7x57 (7mm Mauser)
Rem 700 Carbine in 30-06
Ithaca LSA in 308 Win
Remington 725 in 30-06
Tikka T3 in stainless in 300 Win Mag
Husqvarna Model 4000 (lightweight) in 270
Savage 99F (later featherweight) in 300 Savage, 308, 243 & 358.
Savage 1899 Deluxe in 250-3000
Savage 99G in 30-30 and 300 Savage.
Winchester 64 Deluxe carbine in 30-30

There are no losers in this bunch for sure. I could use them all. However, we all know that special gun when you shoulder it and fire. A gun like this is different and you know it.

For me, the Husqvarna 4000 (mine was made in 1954) is an incredible rifle and currently holds my top title of the lot. It fits me so darn well that I must have shouldered it a 1000 times by now. I just stumbled upon it visiting a local gun shop with another forum member here, say about 4 months ago. The rifle was way in the back of the rack, dusty as all can be. As far as accuracy, it really is unbelievable. Using the same vintage 4x Lyman All American scope with swing over Weaver rings and factory 130 gr ammo, it keeps them at MOA. POI, which is always the trump card with any gun, is superbly consistent. This rifle has tremendous potential.

If you ever get a chance at holding one of these rare rifles, dont pass up the opportunity to check them out. They are very well made rifles upon my close inspection and further on function and accuracy tests. I would love to get one in 7x57 someday. They are pretty rare, but out there.

Despite years of hunting, shooting and firearm learning, it is still nice to be totally surprised about a firearm that you didn't know about before. And it turns out to be awesome in fit and function.

RAS

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.