Originally Posted by Blackbrush
I understand. I see it as a shortcut for the most part though. Few top competitors would go that route. I also see it as short term pain for long term gain. I know I can change barrels much faster and even in the field if necessary with a traditional setup.....and my headspace, die settings and brass can't ever be out of whack. To each his own. Not for me.

I never could stand a Savage due to "the nut". However, after competing with guys running Savages with nuts in F/TR, I noticed they were competitive. I then began to see barrel offerings in calibers that looked interesting where I wanted to experiment without spending $3K on a custom setup. Also, I always hated the thought of shipping my high-end components across the country hoping they would arrive just as I held them. Compound that with the speed in which known 'smiths get your parts back to you assembled, it was a no-brainer.

I built me a .260 on a Savage 12 action with a Criterion barrel. I then bedded the stock in a B&C A2. Is it my favorite rifle? Not a chance. Did it surpass my expectations? You bet it did. I've been able to shoot 1/2 MOA groups at 1,000 yards.

Can spin on barrels using barrel nuts be competitive? This guy thinks so:

http://criterionbarrels.com/honeycutt-sets-national-f-class-record-with-criterion-barrel