Originally Posted by lantx005
Elkhunter49,
Do you have any background on that big axis? That's probably the most impressive axis I've ever seen. He's got it all, including age. I've never actually seen one that is a true 40" but he can't be far off. The wide ones always look bigger but he looks like a conservative 37-38".

Yes sir he is a beast for sure. I took the photo in 2013 off a state highway near Vanderpool, Texas. I was taking my wife to lunch that day in Kerrville but I always carried my camera with me so when I saw him I circled back and got about 20 fair to poor photos of him before the wind switched and he busted me. He was incredible to see in person and as long as I've been hunting Axis (20+) years I've never seen anything that has what he's got. I've had multiple very experienced Axis guides tell me he is likely 40" in length. His mass and width make him look almost like an elk.

I contacted the land owner of the place to see if he would sell me a hunt for him but he wasn't interested in hunting the place. The buck lived in a very thick 1200 acre pasture with multiple creek bottoms and the land owner had only seen him 3 or 4 times in in the last 5 years. He looked to be 10+ years old and was likely pushing 300lb live weight. After I offered the guy all I could afford to let me hunt him the old man just laughed and said "son if I let you hunt everyday for a month you still wouldn't see him again". I feel lucky to have got close to such an incredible animal at least with my camera! I'm sure father time has taken him out by now.

Here are couple more shots of him. Take care, Baker

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 02/15/17.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!