Originally Posted by saddlesore
Yep,mid range and sedate, 30-06 and 180 gr anything that shoots accurately.

If I was going one rifle/load, that would be it. And was for a number of years in several rifles.

Then I got looney..... and was, over time, given/bought several rifles, different calibers......and had to swap out / "fix" a couple bad barrels on acquisitions.....

I currently have two .30-06s - a RU77 tang with 17 inch bbl. (after removal of muzzle bulge - not mine! - @1.25 MOA) and a '98 with 27" heavy bbl. that I have here in the Arctic as a 500 yard caribou killer, for snow machine/ light hike use.

If I was to choose between them as is, I'd take the Ruger for handy - I've killed to nearly 400 yards with it. But given 'druthers, I'd fit a lighter 22" bbl on the '98 for all-round use (currently used only via snow machine travel). In '06. Ain't no better action than a '98, or better all-round caliber.

Using factory ammo with the current '98 configuration, and a solid rest, I can depend on a 3 shot group (if I do my part - 150 grain Hornady Superperformance) hovering right around an inch at 300 yards. Bugger's too heavy to carry around far, but it makes good meat!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.