This is what they do to me. They have their regular price on a rifle. That's a price I will never pay. It's way more than I can buy the rifle for at many other places.

Let's use their stainless Savage lightweight hunter as an example. Their price is $699. I'd never pay that much for the gun. But Cabela's runs some pretty good sales sometimes. In this case they dropped the price to $499. I start thinking about the calibers they offer it in and whether or not I have any gaps in my coverage. I don't. In ultralight rifles alone I have all I'd ever need to hunt anything from prairie dogs to brown bears. I have a stainless LWH in 223 and love the gun. But good sense prevails an I shelve the notion.

A few days after I get the sale paper showing the $499 price I get a Cabelas coupon in the mail. $20 off a purchase of $150 or more. I start thinking again. Man, my grandson would love one of those in 6.5 Creedmoor. The side of my brain that fights loonyism kicks in "Paul, you idiot, you already have a Howa 6.5x55 in the safe that you bought to give him in a few years." I decide I'll go to Savage's website and see what all calibers it's offered in. While I am there I look at their rebate offers. $75 off.

Uh oh. You know how the loony's mind works. I start doing the math. I round off. 500 minus the 20 is $480. Oh, I almost forgot Cabelas gives me a 5% military discount. That's another $20 off. $460. Then there's the rebate. That takes that sweet little rifle down to $385.

My Cabelas is about an hour away, so I didn't load up and go. I marinaded on it for a while. I think about all the lonely rifles in my safe that rarely get used. I go open my safe and look at the rifles. Heck, I am out of room in my safes. "Paul, you idiot, yes it's a good deal, but you know damn well you don't need another rifle. It's ridiculous to think about it." Good judgment prevails if only for a moment.

My only question to you is what caliber should I get it in?