Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by RJM
"Best" can mean a lot of things...

Best for general departmental issue for your "average" one size has to fit most officers from 5' females to 6'5" Trooper types would be the S&W Model 65 .357 Magnum in the 4" square butt or 3" round butt configurations. Light enough to be carried all day, stainless steel for low maintenance, no adjustable sight to break and aftermarket grips that can be had to fit just about everyone's hand.

This was the issue gun when I worked for Rochester PD and the .38 Special version, Model 64, was the issue in Dallas. Both issued the same ammo...the .38 Special 158 grain LSWC-HP +P.

The difference between the two departments however was that in Dallas once you qualified with the city issue you could then go buy your own handgun, revolver or semi, qualify with it and carry it along with whatever ammo you wanted to. You could then pick your own "best". In Rochester the only thing you could change were the grips.

"Best" for me...

While in Dallas I carried all N-frames:
29-2 6.5" .44 Magnum
29-2 4" .44 Magnum
57 4" .41 Magnum
58 4" .41 Magnum
57 4" .41 Magnum
24 3" .44 Special

If I was back on the street today I would carry a 57 or 58 with Federal 190 grain VitalShok loads. If limited to a "newly made" revolver it would be a Ruger GP100 or GP100 Match Master with any 125 grain HP ammo.

Bob

That's interesting. Knew you liked the 57, Bob, but didn't realize you favored it that much.

Have a friend who likes them that much, too.

...I have more .41s than anything else... Don't buy one...you won't be able to stop...

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....