I disagree with the notion that the gun isn't collectible. The gun is 71 years old. There are many of these pre 64 rifles that have been cut for pads, refinished, and reblued. IMHO, a model 70 which has had a pad added is absolute garbage. I have a 1949 30-06 that has significant finish loss and hunting marks, but ya know what? It's original- there's something to be said for that. Whenever I browse these rifles online the very instant I see a non-authentic pad I exit. A cut stock is garbage and totally undesirable. I dunno why so many people took it upon themselves to ruin these guns. The bigger magnum calibres came with them, no need to put one on a 30-06, 308 or 270...as if you would notice the recoil shooting at game. I've even seen otherwise perfect 243s outfitted with pads.

I couldn't find the listing on that site so it must have sold, but I view it sort of like collecting coins, a vintage super grade is a "key date" of sorts, and this is far from a "slick", this one will do until you can find one that is closer to Gem Brilliant Uncirculated (MS63-MS65).

Also, if you've looked at Shuman's gun list or any other seller, super grades in the high 90% are exhorbitantly expensive... most people aren't wired to spend 3-5 grand on a rifle.

btw, I didn't see what the asking price on the gun was? 3 grand?