I viewed the 60 minute offering last evening to glean lots of problems with their segment. The young man truly was at fault admitting his actions. Now, to be honest each and every mechanical device is subject to failure. But, proper handling of a firearm would have prevented this tragedy.
At no point during the segment was there a definitive discussion about the 10 commandments of firearm safety. The father alluded to teaching his sons safety but 60 minutes did not pursue this. I have owned and hunted with many model Remington 700 rifles. Have not had this problem occur. Now, I do indeed have complete and lots of experience with cleaning, adjusting and the 700 triggers along with the safeties. If a trigger is adjusted improproperly a problem can happen. If the sear engagement is improperly set the trigger will fail. A competent gunsmith will be able to properly adjust either of the trigger designs.
Not one gunsmith was asked his opinion about either trigger design. CBS should revisit this with more comprehensive data from a broad range of gunsmiths, mechanical engineers, competent bench rest shooters and hunter education instructors for a proper and well balanced approach. But, we all know this will happen when pigs fly. My .02 cents. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!