In the depths of cabin fever pondering here.....In the future the boy is going to need a revolver. For various reasons, he'll need a double action, not a single and not an auto. My first handgun was a .22, lots of great fun and learning. I've long thought a S&W 63 is exactly what he'll need some day. Two factors give me pause. First, the prices these things have been going for, and secondly I guess we could all agree that cheap easy to find .22 ammo can't be taken for granted. Looking back on my own experience, loading up a hundred .38 plinking loads and carefully shooting them increased my proficiency more than banging away 500 casually purchased .22s. A matter of perspective perhaps. I actually got better with the .22 after I got my first .357.

I'm thinking the Ruger SP101 .357 with adjustable sights and 4" barrel would be great. Various types of ammo are widely available and he likes handloading, so .38s will be fine. No ammo shortage in these parts. It's also much easier to turn a .38 into a .22 than to make a .22 into a .38 when you need more power. And then one day he'll have the option of .357s. What can you men tell me of the little SP101s?