Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
A quick aside for those of you who have had overcharge issues. I am a pretty casual reloader. So that I might learn from your mistakes (and perhaps others may too) I'd like to ask you if some of my practices would have precluded the issues you had. If I am throwing charges, I will check a few along the way. Once I have finished charging the cases I take a flashlight and look down into my charged cases to ensure uniformity prior to seating bullets. Would that have prevented your overcharge issues?

Visual inspection, after charging, before seating, is never a bad thing. It only takes 30 to 60 seconds. And may save some excitement later. I always do a visual inspection when charging a full block of cases.

However, for my situation of load development (3 cartridges at a time), it would not have made a difference. For load development I charge, seat, charge, seat, charge, seat, 3 cartridges and then go shoot. Given that it was both a new cartridge and a new powder for me at that time, I did not have any idea what the "normal fill level" was supposed to look like.

My situation exactly.

If you're loading a bottle neck round and the powder fills only part of the case, that's not easy to do (or think of).

If the powder can be seen just below the neck, as in most cases, that's an easy one to monitor.

DF