Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by koshkin
I am looking at the VX-6HD 3-18x44. I only received it last week, so it is still early, but I am pretty impressed so far. Nice package, good glass and very well engineered turrets.
Initial tracking tests are looking good.

The one I have has the Impact 29 reticle, which is pretty useful for longer distances as long as you keep track of the magnification (SFP scope).

ILya

How much better is HD glass vs pre-HD VX-6 glass?

DF

Hard to say for sure at this stage. The CA is better controlled, but if you are looking for something with a day and night difference, I do not think this is going to be it. It is better though.

The turret design, however, is one of my favourite ones to date from Leupold. They are low with a good click feel and they lock at zero. There is a tactile indicator that tells me whether I am on a first or second rotation. Honestly, if they made a FFP version of this scope and kept it under $2k, they would absolutely own the precision AR market.

As is, it is really designed to appeal to people who are willing to take fairly long shots, but do not want to drag a large scope with them. That's why there is an electronic level built-in and that is why the turrets are designed the way they are.

So far, I like it a lot and unless it craps out on me, I will likely buy it from Leupold.

ILya