Well, I finally got a chance to go to the range. Been working too many Saturdays lately and too much snow. I couldn't make it all the way to the pit that I like to shoot at, so I found a good backstop and shot in the national forest. I got set up and then heard the sound of some vehicles behind me. Sure enough, 2 4x4 pickups were trying to find a place to turn around. They saw where I turned around and I talked to them for a bit and told them they might have better luck backing down the road, but they insisted they could get turned around where I did. Long story short, I had chains on and they didn't. I ended up pulling both of them out after they got buried and blocked the road. Back to shooting: Before they showed up, I had to dial in my 2 pre 64's since I decided to throw the Zeiss back on the 270 fwt and put the zeiss conquest I had on my 375H&H on my 338wm and changed the bases and rings to a more beefy set-up. BobinNH told me a while back that I should go to a stronger set-up on my "lightweight" 338. I finally listened to him and damn I'm glad I did. I shot my best group with that rifle today. I've had some days where I shoot a nice group like that one and say, ok it's time to go, I'm satisfied and today was a day I felt like this, but I had to wring out my 270 with this new powder they call Reloader 26!!!! Been hearing a chit load of good about this combo so I wanted to see what the commotion was all about. After everything was dialed in, I set up the chronograph and had at it. Here are the twins:

[Linked Image]

Here's where I was set up. Keep in mind this isn't my normal place, but I had the target stand set up at 102 yards and the chronograph was about 12 feet away:
[Linked Image]

Here's how the 270 shot with the new powder (RL26). The velocities are shown on the target paper:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here's what the chrono said on one of the shots:
[Linked Image]

I was hoping to hit 2900 fps. and get good accuracy and it looks like it did it. Should make a hell of a good elk stomper. I'll do some more accuracy testing later on when the weather gets better and I can get to the range. This was just a preliminary test to see if I could get 2900fps in this fwt with 150gr. nosler partitions. It reached that with no sweat and no signs of pressure. I think I'm liking this powder guys... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA