Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
Originally Posted by McInnis
I came close to buying one last year, but read several on-line complaints about them having a fragile bolt stop screw. Anyone else heard of that?

I read that somewhere too but I have never heard of there being any sort of problem first hand and I even contacted weatherby and they said that it was a non-issue.

Ive used vanguards for awhile now, almost 10 years all over Alaska, Montana, New Mexico and Canada and never had the first hint of a problem with one. Seems like you can find a negative about any rifle if you look around enough.

I own a Howa 1500 (unbranded Weatherby Vanguard) and I have broken the bolt stop screw.

The bolt stop screw is very small and weak and if you pull the bolt back hard, like you might do if a cape buffalo is charging you, you may find the bolt never stops and comes right out the back.

I contacted Howa about it, was given the response that I should not be working the bolt so hard. I thought that to be an unsatisfactory answer and, can't remember if I said it or just thought it, hoped they never made a DG rifle.

Great rifle otherwise. Would recommend having a side bolt release installed (like many do on a Remington action) if you intend to hunt anything that may bite back.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...