Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Thoughts? Sure. But .. why don't you ask an actual question instead?

I can tell you that according to Barnes you're 0.8 grains over max with Hunter. I don't have specific data on that bullet with H4831. With a cup-n-core you'd have .5 to go but with a monolithic bullet you may already be past safe max.

That's about all I can give you without some more specific question.

Tom

What question would you suggest? My only thought is I'm going to use Hunter. I was wondering what others would say.

By the way a couple days ago I looked at and enjoyed your 1/4" group you fired with my .224MBC.

I wasn't sure what you were trying to get at. So, how is the accuracy with Hunter? Speed without accuracy isn't very useful.

Straydog is onto something .. when you have a temporary dip in velocity as charges go up, you've already exceeded safe pressure for that particular rifle, case, primer, powder, and bullet regardless of what the books say.

What I'd do, probably, is go back and shoot a ladder from 63 to 65 grains. I would not finish with the 65 grain load, I think it is too hot based on the velocities you're seeing, but it's often useful to go a little over what you plan to shoot just to see what it does. Carefully though, very carefully. If you don't like ladders, load 63 to 65 grains in half grain increments, 5 shots each, and go shoot 'em.

I would also consider other powders. I've had good luck with H4831 with 130s and 150s in the .270 but I think I'd look hard at H4350 with the 110s.

Yeah ... that was a fun day. Thanks for inviting me up to shoot!

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...