Let me start out being completely blunt - I'm not new to reloading having done it for a few years now, but I'm certainly inexperienced.

With that said, a few months back I picked up a Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness in 30-06 in hopes of making it my dedicated elk/heavier game rifle... not that the other rifles I have couldn't do it... you know how it goes, can never have too many guns.

I usually use the OCW method of working up loads... starting out 10% under max and load 4 individual fouling/pressure check loads(1% increase each) and then go up to max over the next 5 loadings, loading 3x each so you can shoot 3 shot groups and see whats best... hope I explained that okay. I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about... anyhow I started out buying some 180gr Accubonds, using Winchester brass trimmed to min length and Winchester LR primers. IMR 4350 powder. I followed the load data on Noslers site, loading them to 3.340 with 52.5-56.5gr of powder. First thing to note is that the power is compressed for most of these loads. 3.340 puts the bullet about .020 off the lands. The throat on this rifle is really short.

I went out yesterday with these and didn't get past the first 3 shot group due to pressure signs(primer was flattening). Made me hesitant to even try the next group, I decided my face and hands were worth more than trying to see if going further would be okay.

Quickload seems to concur with my findings, as it says these loads are mostly at/over pressure. Note that I am a novice with QuickLoad as well.

I picked up some 168gr Barnes TTSXs last night as I've been wanting to try Barnes bullets anyhow.

I guess what I'm asking it, what would you guys try next? Different brass? Different powder? I've never had this issue before!

Thanks.

edit - as someone pointed out, I had my data incorrectly listed, however the 52-56 is what I used to actually load the cartridges. I tried to quickly reference Noshers site and it was on 150gr bullets.

Last edited by JeffRaines; 03/21/17.