I think the name of the game in target shooting (bulls eye pistol or bench rest rifle) is consistency. That is, consistency on how you hold the firearm and how you press the trigger. And the latter is also very important. You won't shoot good until you master the trigger of your firearm. But it is constancy in every way you operate the firearm.

I've experienced changes in my point of aim that were caused by changes in the light. The changes weren't measurable in degrees of deer, but they were measurable in point of impact on a paper target - which is what this game is all about.

But getting back to FB2s question, I think it has more to do with his preference in forearms. Schnable tipped 99s don't give you much to hold onto when shooting off a bench. As a matter of fact I think I read somewhere that a schnable tip was designed with the intent of grasping the forearm with your fingers and pressing the stock into your shoulder when shooting off hand.

Last edited by S99VG; 03/23/17.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"