New guy here and I'm happy to see a forum supporting Savage 99's. I was consumed by the serial# thread and read all 14 pages.
I just snagged a 99C (with spare mag)and am tickled pink to again be a 99 owner. Many years ago (1968) I bought one new from an Air Base Annex and it was always a disappointment to me...something was amiss and I could never hit a deer with it. I tried several sight set-ups and always after boresighting the rear sight would have to be moved to the far right in order to bring the groups to center target. I played with handloads and developed what I felt was a good recipe for it. But still I would miss deer with it. The gunsmith was befuddled and was reluctant to mount a scope...I forget why now. During one rainy season the finish took a hit so I did a super refinishing job on it. It was gorgeous and I received many compliments. But I always felt something was wrong at the muzzle, so I finally gave up on it and traded it for a Remington 742. Almost immediately I started bagging deer again. Psychological? who knows.
Anyway I later realized what a gem I had and regretted trading it. So now I again have one and I'm so far happy with it. But I'm curious about the forend. It isn't shaped like my earlier rifle and I wonder what everyone's thoughts are. The new one (serial # D6832xx-I'm guessing late 70's, early 80's?) is thicker (fat?) and fluted on the sides, and the only checkering is on the bottom. Seems odd to me but feels ok. Also the front sling swivel is mounted on the barrel with a barrel band. Not sure how I feel about that. I've tried to post a pic, not sure if it went through.

Attached Images
99C Forend II.jpg (95.18 KB, 26 downloads)