Originally Posted by FreeMe
To clarify why I ask....
My hand injury a year ago involved significant nerve damage. I have been shooting with my weak hand only, as a result. I am recovering much of the use of my previously strong hand, and have recently recovered to the point that I can shoot with my normal strong side, but acquiring a good grip is slow with the guns I have.

I just did some experimenting with various pistols, and found that I can get a good shooting grip on the Shield in my injured hand with haste, but not other models that I am familiar with. I have no problem with the 1911 safety with my weakened thumb, but the Shield safety would be difficult at this point. I am lead to expect further progress with my hand,but it's looking like we're talking at least another year to get reasonably close to normal.

In the meantime, think I can get by much better with the Shield than any other pistol I've tried. My only concern, since I know little about this pistol other than its reputation for reliability, is whether there is any disadvantage in going without the safety. And no,pocket carry is not in the picture, nor is appendix carry.
I think your question has been answered.

I'm glad to hear of your improvement.