I currently have stainless/synthetic Ruger 77/357 and 77/44 rifles. The 77/357 is quite accurate, producing 2" groups or less at 100 yards. I have a NECG Ghost Ring peep rear sight and a large ivory bead front sight on it, and also have a 4x scope mounted in the rings that I can switch for the peep if I wish.

The 77/357 feeds both .357's and .38 Specials just fine, and is a hoot to shoot with the Specials. They both shoot to the same POI in my rifle up to 50 yards. It's a fun plinker. A friend's 10-year old son killed his first deer with it and it worked splendidly.

The 77/44 is the second one I have owned. The first was wildly inaccurate with all the ammo I tried in it, throwing its shots into about 9 MOA.

When they announced the discontinuance of the 77/xx series, and after reading positive reviews of the newer production 77/44's, I bought one. All I can say is that it does shoot better than my first one...it is good for about 7MOA. It is completely useless as a hunting rifle beyond 50 yards and is shaky at that range.

It is going back to Ruger to see if they can do anything for it. I just got a new Number 1 single shot in .44 Magnum and I hope it does better than the 77/44.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...