Some of the best loading data I've found for heavy loads in the 45-70 are in handloader # 248. Brian Pearce wrote the article and has pressure data included.
I found his velocities were a little low compared to the velocities chronographed in my rifles. However both of mine are recent manufacture 1886 with 22" (same length) barrels so I backed off 1 grain.
As to reliability of lever actions both will feed upright, sideways or upside down, fast or slow cycling. Why it would need to feed upside down I'm not too sure, but they are utterly reliable.
For soft skin dangerous game I believe with the 405 wooleigh @ 2050 would be more than sufficient.
For cape buffalo I would definitely utilize something else.
I think it's interesting the a 450/400 is considered a dangerous game cartridge, 400 grain @ 2050 (usually slightly slower over a chronograph) but a 405 @ over 2000 from a 45/70 is not for soft skinned game.
I know some will say the 400 has a better sectional density which is true but consider the 405 woodleigh has a higher sectional density than the 180 30 cal or 270 375.
The woodleigh at this speed holds together great, over 90% weight retention, does not expand quite as much as the 405 Kodiak and penetrates better. Besides that they a quite accurate.
JMHO

Last edited by Akhutr; 03/27/17.