Originally Posted by Longbob
Anyone have a Scheels sporting goods store in their area? They are building a monster 300,000 sq ft one in our area and I have never heard of them.

What do you think of them and their prices?

I live within a 10 block radius of the Fargo ND store. Scheels started as a hardware store (still have one in Fargo) in the region. They were always a mecca when I was a kid, as there were very few gunstores that would have a better selection of guns and ammo. I was a bit disappointed when the opted to go for the AllSports/SuperStore system - I could give a sh*t about that other crap.

They've sold me a bunch of guns over the years - I don't think I've ever bought a bum steer out of the place. Prices can vary from good to vastly overpriced - like anything you need to know value and comparison shop. I can usually buy my reloading components for less than it'd cost to have shipped to my house from any of the big outlets. Clothing is a bit steep, but watch your sales, and cruise the clearance racks religiously.

The local store has really downsized it's reloading selection, mainly due to the availability scare, I'd guess. Ammo is not cheap, but they typically will put the "standard" stuff on sale periocically.

My main peeve, as of late, is their tendency towards economy rifles. Sh*tloads of Savages, and economy offferings from all the manufacturers. Last time in they had two NEW winchester M70s and one NEW Ruger 77. Maybe a half dozen NEW Remington 700s. Otherwise the rifle choices are Tactical, Economy, highend semi-customs (Cooper, Christianson Arms, etc) or used. Caliber choices is standard chamberings - seldom will you see anything with any panache. And someone in their purchasing chain seems to think the world of the 300 RUM....

Plenty of shotgun choices, decent selection of handguns.

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"