If you want to hunt moose the peak of the rut is a good time.

If you want to eat moose, it is the worst possible time.

The rut stench is carried in the blood- hormones and adrenaline - so it is throughout the meat. Not just on the hide as some believe. Eskimo friends tell me hanging it at 35-40 degrees for 10 days will moderate it, but I rather doubt it. Haven't had the opportunity to do so. And won't.

The peak of the rut should be the first two or 3 weeks of October, but starts in late September - the last 5 days or so. According to "Ecology and Management of North American Moose" (Smithsonian Press $80 - you might find a copy in a library to read), the rut has the same timing throughout NA for moose, unlike deer. Best time to call is just pre-rut- Sept 15-30. The bulls are roaming around testing themselves against other bulls and sniffing up the cows. Once the breeding starts, not so much. But they will come to various calls once they start shedding velvet, around Sept 1. Big bulls earlier than smaller ones. Early season start with rubbing/brush sounds, and progress into various vocals as the season advances.

Personally, based on 40 years of moose hunting, and 20 some bulls, I will never again shoot a bull moose after Sept 20 or before November 10. Well, maybe the 7th.... smile. The one I got on Nov 1 was out of rut, but the rut wasn't quite out of him.....

You might get lucky - I'd say 50-50 chance, on getting highly palatable meat between Sept 20-25. After that until at least Nov 10, your chances for good meat go way down.

I've shot bulls on Sept 29 and Nov. 1, and my advise is DON'T DO THAT- or any date in between if you want to eat the meat. Antlers are good anytime.... but a terrible waste of a wonderful animal if the meat isn't good. Second/third week of September is best bet for both.

Good luck.

Last edited by las; 03/29/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.