Originally Posted by Chainsaw
Keep pushing and soon you will have all cartridges ok'd by the powers that be.

Points we used in Wisconsin:

*It is a lot easier for the young hunters shooting a lower recoiling rifle to be good marksmen than with a heavier recoiling shotgun*

*Better marksmanship will lead to more practice, cutting down on wounded deer*

*In Wisconsin it appears to have cut down on the excessive gunfire in the areas that were previously shotgun only* (Eliminating the empty the pump gun syndrome)

*It will be easier for the female hunter to participate if she doesn't have to flinch under the heavier recoil of a shotgun*

*One can purchase 20 rifle rounds at a good price vs 20 rounds of sabots*

*Since there will be "no illegal" use of rifle rounds in a shotgun area, conservation wardens will be free to follow up on other pressing problems that crop up*

There are many other points that can be presented as to why rifles of all calibers should be ok'd such as the Lehigh Valley study etc.

Good Luck in Iowa in your quest to have rifles ok'd for hunting.

Your first two points are my primary arguments, especially as a reloader. My daughters LOVE to hunt - but are NOT fans of the recoil of even a 20 gauge slug gun. I'm already working on loads for my .357 Max in a carbine for them to use on deer that have much more manageable recoil and put the bullet where they tell it to go. They both can hammer rabbits at 50 yds offhand with their .22 LR rifles, so I'm not concerned about their bullet placement skills.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile