Originally Posted by Zengela
For factory loads I have used plain old Remington green box 270 gr Corelok sp. And Hornady 270 gr Sp Heavy Magnum. Both did just fine on all Namibian plains game. Many gemsbok,zebra,kudu,springbok,wilderbeast,leopard etc. But they were classic cup and core seperations. Only factory loads I've ever used hunting. I didn't have time to load up some of my own. For hand loads Nosler Partions 300 gr sp and Sierra sp bullets were fine for elk. I believe the Sierra bullet to be a bit soft for any angle shots on bull elk. Never have shot a cow with 376H&H. African hand loads have only been different solids and Swift A-Frame 300 gr. Swift is IMHO the ultimate 375 soft point as I have no on game expierence with the Accubonds.

DaveO.

I had terrible experiences with the Sierra 300 SPBT. Broadside on a black bear and a mule deer.... Bullet failed to exit..... came apart. I know the response.... It killed them, didn't it? And lost my first elk I shot.... easy shot,close range, very steep angle. Shot from behind, angling forward, hard dry dirt and no blood trail. Just a little hair on ground,at impact point. These bullets were regulated to shooting prairie dogs and jacks! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024