My first levergun was an Ithaca Model 49, a single-shot drop-block rifle chamgered for .22LR, They had a retail frice of about $22 when they were introduced in 1962. Big Brother and I got one both found one under the Christmas tree that year. Little Brother got one the next year.

Mine got away from me after high school and I spent several years in the last decade looking for another. I finallly found one in near perfect condition an paid $105 for it after a bit of dickering. Asking price was $125.

[Linked Image]

The Ithaca is my most-shot rifle these days. It usually foes to the range with its bigger cousins, where I use it to shoot clay pigeons at 100 yards while the other barrels cool. My eyes don't care for irons but on a good day I can hit about 35% and misses aren't by much. It is one accurate little rifle.

Here's some of the Ithaca's grown-up cousins. Top to bottom:

Marlin 1895, .45-70
Marlin 375, .375 Winchester
Marlin 336C, .30-30
Browning B92, .44 Mag

[Linked Image]

My hunting buddy, who has a Marlin .30-30 as well, and I have a saying that pretty well describes our feelings toward such rifles - we call it "Lever action satisfaction". No bolt gun will ever be as much fun.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.